The wait for fans has nearly ended. World Cup 2018 is just round the corner, and promises some breathtaking action. There are going to be many shocks and fairytale moments scripted by the time the tournament ends.
But when you talk about such a big competition, there are instances which remain in the memories of the fans forever. The previous editions has seen numerous events which has shocked the football fraternity. Be it the 'Hand of God' goal, or the 'headbutt', World Cup always has witnessed one or the other.
And ahead of the 2018 edition of the tournament, we look at the five most famous famous incidents.
1. Zidane headbutt: Ok, this has to be the biggest controversial incident, not just in World Cup, but in football history. The Frenchman was aiming to win a second World Cup with France, following the success in 1998.
But a moment of madness took over the 'bald headed' great during the final. He had scored the opener from the penalty spot, but Italy equalized through Marco Materrazi. The match headed into extra-time, and during that, something happened which no one could dream of.
In the 110th minute, Zidane inexplicably headbutted Materazzi after the Italian said something to him. A red card followed for the Frenchman, and his dream of winning a second World Cup also vanished.
2. 'Hand of god' goal: Now this wasn't just an angry moment for England fans, but for whole of the football world. During the 1986 World Cup quarter-final between Argentina and England, Diego Maradona did something which carved his name in football's 'dark history'.
In the 51st minute of the match, Maradona gave Argentina the lead. The dimutive Argentine though, scored using his hand. Thanks to his disgraceful effort, his team won the match 2-1. After the game, Maradone said, "un poco con la cabeza de Maradona y otro poco con la mano de Dios" ("a little with the head of Maradona and a little with the hand of God").
3. Netherlands demolish Spain: In the World Cup 2014, Netherlands did what the world had never seen. Spain were the defending champions heading into the competition, and had also won two consecutive UEFA Euros in 2008 and 2012.
The tiki-taka meant the Spanish national team had the world at its feet, with many tipping them to easily defend their World Cup title. Up they came against Netherlands, and the world witnessed humiliation.
Netherlands defeated Spain 5-1, and it wasn't just the scoreline which shocked, but also the performance. Spain looked lackluster, and were demolished. This defeat brought the all-conquering team back to earth.
4. Germany humiliate Brazil: The five-time World Cup champions Brazil were playing at home in the semi-final against Germany. Despite the absence of Neymar, many predicted the home team to reach the final.
But the events which followed brought tears to the eyes of Brazil fans, and stunned the rest of the world. Germany didn't just win, they battered and humiliated Brazil. It wasn't just a defeat for the five-time champions, but the result would haunt them for the rest of their playing days.
5. Frank Rjikaard's disgraceful spit: Germany was called 'West Germany' back in 1990, and they had won the World Cup. During their road to success, they faced Netherlands in the round of 16, and the world had to see a disgraceful event.
During the match, Netherlands' Frank Rjikaard inexplicably spit at his opponent Rudi Voller. After 22 minutes, both the players were sent off by the referee, after things heated up. And Rjikaard then did it again. While leaving the pitch, the Netherlands player again spit at Voller, much to the shock of everyone around.