Reliance Jio and Microsoft on Monday announced a long-term strategic relationship at Reliance's 42nd annual general meeting (AGM). As a result of this collaboration, Microsoft's Azure cloud platform will be integrated into Jio's network. However, there's more to it: Jio-Microsoft partnership entails connectivity solutions, computing, cloud storage and other technology services and applications that are essential for small and medium-sized businesses in India. So, quicker adoption of modern-day technologies like AI, blockchain, Internet of Things and more is certainly on the cards.
1. Reliance Jio employees will benefit from Microsoft 365's cloud-based productivity and collaboration tools. What's more, Reliance Jio will also migrate its non-network applications to Microsoft's Azure cloud platform.
2. As part of its cloud-first strategy, Jio will promote the adoption of the Microsoft Azure cloud platform within its ecosystem of startups.
3. Jio said it will setup data centres in different locations across India. These data centres will be equipped with Microsoft's cloud-based Azure platform to support Jio’s offerings. First two datacentres are being set up in the states of Maharashtra and Gujarat.
4. Microsoft's Azure cloud platform is supposed to help Jio come up with solutions focusing on the needs of Indian businesses.
5. Indian startups can leverage access to "efficient and affordable" cloud infrastructure and platform services. This way, startups are expected to save some time and money when developing their products and services
6. This collaboration is also expected to help Indian SMBs benefit from Microsoft 365's cloud-based productivity and collaboration tools, whereas large companies can improve their own digital transformations.
7. It includes benefits for customers such as rapidly growing their businesses and more. Meanwhile, Jio could also enable integrated speech and computer vision solutions for Indian customers.
“Jio is delighted to partner with Microsoft in our efforts to further deepen the use of technology on scale to all Indians,” said Mukesh Ambani, Chairman and Managing Director of Reliance Industries. “This is a unique and first-of-its-kind partnership that brings the capabilities of two large companies focused on creating significant value to Indian enterprises — small and large.
“We have an incredible opportunity to apply advances in technology to help organizations across India innovate and grow,” said Satya Nadella, CEO of Microsoft. “The combination of Jio’s leading connectivity and digital solutions with Azure, Azure AI and Office 365 will bring powerful tools and platforms for compute, storage, productivity and more to millions of businesses in the country.”