In exactly two days from now, Samsung will unpack its next-generation Galaxy S10 lineup at a keynote event in San Francisco. The Galaxy S10 lineup won’t be alone though. The company has lots more in store, which isn’t surprising since Samsung is celebrating 10 years of the Galaxy this year. Let me list it all out for you. Samsung will likely launch (or, showcase) the following products at Unpacked on February 20:
--Galaxy S10, Galaxy S10+, Galaxy S10E
--Galaxy Fold (foldable phone)
--Galaxy S10 5G (possibly)
--Galaxy Watch Active
That’s eight products in all that we know of, right now. And there could be more (it will be interesting to find out, if Samsung gets to ten (pun intended)). But a lot will be riding on the Galaxy S10 lineup – this is something that Samsung has also admitted in its latest earnings call. Samsung is optimistic about the upcoming flagship Galaxy S10 to “prop up sales and business performance in the coming months.”
Now we already have a fair idea of what to expect, in the days to come. Here are 10 things that we’re excited about:
- Samsung is updating the design of the Galaxy S this year. After two years of recycling the same design (and resisting the notch), Samsung is finally giving in to the notch-trend. At its annual developer conference in November last year, Samsung had announced that all its future devices will be characterized by Infinity-U, Infinity-V, Infinity-O and New Infinity-style screens. The Galaxy S10 lineup will come with an Infinity-O display which is essentially Samsung’s take on the punch-hole design we’ve seen in phones like the Honor View 20. The Galaxy S10 won’t be the first Samsung phone with an Infinity-O notch display though. The company already has a Galaxy A8s in China with such a setup. But the Galaxy S10 will be a global product, which means that it will be available in more markets including in India. It will be interesting to see what a legacy brand like Samsung does with the punch-hole design.
- Unlike last year (and the year before) when buyers had literally no choice, this year, Samsung is seemingly all gung-ho about the choices. The Galaxy S10 lineup will give buyers many choices - choices across functionality as well as price points. Samsung is launching three Galaxy S phones this year (Galaxy S10, Galaxy S10+ and Galaxy S10E) and each of these three phones will have multiple variants. The Galaxy S10E will be the most affordable of the lot with a flatter bezel and toned-down specs, while the highest variant of the Galaxy S10+ will be all about the excesses.
- The highest-end variant of the Galaxy S10+ will be made of (scratch-resistant) ceramic, a first for Samsung. It will also come with whopping 12GB RAM and 1TB storage, making it the first of its kind.
- As an extension to the hype around the design, the Galaxy S10 lineup will also be Samsung’s first Galaxy S lineup to experiment with colours (both solid and gradient). While blue, black and green will be the flavor of the Galaxy S10 town, the Galaxy S10E will additionally be available in Canary Yellow. The vanilla Galaxy S10 and Galaxy S10+ will not come in yellow.
- The Galaxy S10 and Galaxy S10+ will be the first Samsung phones to come with an in-display fingerprint scanner for biometric authentication. The Galaxy S10E will come with a conventional side-mounted fingerprint reader.
- Although the Galaxy S10, Galaxy S10+ and Galaxy S10E will come with different screen sizes (all of them will come with punch-hole design though) a common factor between them will be their screens’ 800nits brightness. That’s the brightest for any smartphone in the market right now. Samsung Galaxy S phones already have the best displays in the business, but with the Galaxy S10, Samsung may be looking to take things even further.
- Updated hardware is always something to look forward to. The Galaxy S10 will not be any different. All the three phones will be powered by the Qualcomm Snapdragon 855/Exynos 9820 processor with up to 12GB RAM and up to 1TB storage which going by Samsung’s track record, should be expandable as well.
- The Galaxy and Galaxy S10+ will come with three rear cameras, with reports hinting at one 12MP wide (77-degree field of view) sensor with f/1.5 aperture and dual pixel OIS, a 16MP ultra-wide (123-degree field of view) sensor with f/2.2 aperture and fixed focus, and a 12MP telephoto sensor with OIS. The Galaxy S10E will tone it down to a dual rear camera system consisting of one 12MP wide (77-degree field of view) sensor with f/1.5 aperture and OIS, and a secondary 16MP ultra-wide (123-degree field of view) sensor with f/2.2 aperture and fixed focus.
- The Galaxy S10, Galaxy S10+ and Galaxy S10E will reportedly come with a 10MP front camera with support for 4K video recording. Additionally, the Galaxy S10+ is also said to come with dual front cameras, consisting of one 10MP sensor with f/1.9 aperture (same as the one on the Galaxy S10 and Galaxy S10E) and a secondary 8MP sensor with f/2.2 aperture (presumably for depth sensing).
- Lastly, the Galaxy S10 lineup will support 9W reverse wireless charging. This means that the Galaxy S10, Galaxy S10+ and Galaxy S10E will be able to act as a wireless charging mat for other compatible devices like smartwatches and smartphones. The Galaxy S10 trio will also be one of the first phones to support the latest and greatest Wi-Fi 6 standard. You will still need a Wi-Fi 6 router – it’s still early days for Wi-Fi 6 – but to make use of all the gains but at least, the support will make the Galaxy S10 future-ready. The Galaxy S10 phones will also keep the headphone jack.
Samsung will officially launch the Galaxy S10 at its Unpacked 2019 keynote event in San Francisco on February 20. It is expected to kick-off pre-orders from the next day itself, probably 12AM February 21 (in US time) and shipping is expected to commence from March 8.
The phones will be coming soon to India and much like their predecessor, the Galaxy S9, Samsung’s next-generation flagship phones will be also available online from Flipkart, in addition to the company’s e-shop and various other offline sales channels. Both Flipkart and Samsung’s e-shop have started teasing the Galaxy S10 launch with a dedicated notify-me/register your interest page on their respective platforms seemingly confirming an imminent launch soon. Possibly in the first week of March.
ALSO READ | Samsung Galaxy S10, Galaxy S10+, Galaxy S10E Rumour Round-up: Specs, Features, Expected India Price And More