The recently released Dentsu Aegis Network (DAN) Exchange4Media Digital Report 2018 carries a number of interesting facts and figures regarding where the media industry is heading.
Here are but a few:
- In terms of internet users, India currently stands at 460 million -- a figure that is expected to rise to 740 million by 2020, as per TRAI.
- The Indian advertising industry stands at Rs 55,960 crore (~$8.6 billion). It is estimated to grow at a CAGR of 11% till 2020 by which time it'll have reached Rs 77,623 crore (~$11.9 billion).
- Of the Rs 55,960 advertising industry, Rs. 8,202 crore comprises is digital media.
- Of the overall 11% CAGR (Cumulative Annual Growth Rate), 7% per annum is attributable to traditional media, while 32% is for digital media.
(A break-up of the media industry)
The report lists the following drivers of growth in the digital media industry:
1. Digital is the fastest growing advertising medium in the country
2. A combination of rising Internet usage, rollout of 4G, increase in smartphone penetration.
3. Mobiles replacing desktops as the preferred choice for internet users
4. Digital marketing being more measurable whatever the reach
5. Mobile allows precise targeting
6. Innovations continue to refine monetisation
7. Content-driven ads, creative storytelling will improve
8. Social media's emergence as a strong ad platform
Following the release of the report, there was an on-ground panel discussion featuring some well-known leaders in India's media industry.
Watch in the video above, as Republic TV's Editor-in-Chief Arnab Goswami, HT Media CEO Rajiv Verma, CEO of Colours-Viacom 18 Raj Nayak engage in a discussion moderated by Ashish Bhasin, Chairman and CEO South Asia of Dentsu Aegis Network.