According to the reports by the National Electric Power Regulatory Authority (NEPRA), 879 people have died in the last five-years due to electrocution in the proximity of state-owned power distribution companies. Despite hundreds of deaths, no major steps were taken by the Pakistani officials to prevent such incidents. The highest number of fatalities were reportedly recorded in Punjab and Sindh with 133 deaths in the jurisdiction of Lahore Electric Supply Company (LESCO) and Sukkur Electric Power Company (SEPCO). The Peshawar Electric Supply Company (PESCO) was reported to be second with 102 electrocution-related deaths.
A former managing director of the Pakistan Electric Supply Company (Pepco) told local media that there was congestion in the distribution system of distribution companies. He urged power firms to invest in up-gradation of the distribution system and early retirement of line-man staff while talking about the importance of untrained staff. A power Division spokesperson claimed as well that at least 30,000 hazards have been identified in the jurisdiction of power distribution companies, out of which 11,000 were removed to ensure safety standards.
"Safety line portal and immediate inquiry system against staff involved in the accidents have been installed. Extensive campaigns have been launched on social media to spread awareness about safety measures," the official added.
At least 98 fatalities occurred in the jurisdiction of Multan Electric Power Company (Mepco), 95 in Faisalabad Electric Supply Company (Fesco), 84 in Gujranwala Electric Power Company (Gepco) and 81 in Islamabad Electric Supply Company (Iesco). Hyderabad Electric Supply Company (Hesco) and Quetta Electric Supply Company (Qesco) were responsible for 78 and 44 deaths in their jurisdiction respectively. Experts have reportedly asked the Imran Khan-led government to strengthen the weak infrastructure and to take measures to prevent similar incidents. Industrial safety experts further reported that the departments were attempting on their own to curb electrocution incidents.
(Inputs from ANI)