- The incident occurred after the Counter Terrorism Department (CTD) of Punjab Police raided a house in Jehlum, 200-km away from Lahore
- The CTD said that later the Rescue 1122 divers recovered the bodies of the three terrorists.
In an eccentric incident, three alleged terrorists of banned Al-Qaeda were drowned after their car fell in a canal during a chase by the security personnel in Pakistan's Punjab province on Friday, officials said.
The incident occurred after the Counter Terrorism Department (CTD) of Punjab Police raided a house in Jehlum, 200-km away from Lahore, after receiving a tip-off that some terrorist was hiding in a house and conspiring to attack the offices of security officials, the CTD told in a statement.
It said that when the raiding team challenged the terrorists they managed to board a car and fled. They were chased off by the security personnel. Exchange of fire undertook as a result of which, the terrorists' car fell in a canal at upper Jehlum and they drowned, it said.
The CTD said that later the Rescue 1122 divers recovered the bodies of the three terrorists.
"Hand grenades, guns, and explosives have been recovered from their hideout," it added.
READ| Islamic State Claims 'Hind Province' In Jammu And Kashmir After Clash
Pakistan's intimacy with terror
Despite their repeated denial, Pakistan's love affair with terror has been an age-old tale, with the country's history of fostering varied terror outfits, here are some of them are:
- Lashkar-e-Omar is a new terrorist group reportedly founded in January 2002 and is a conglomerate of Harkat-ul-Jihad-i-Islami (HuJI), Lashkar-e-Jhangvi (LeJ) and Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM) cadres.
- Hizb-ul-Mujahideen (HM) is headquartered at Muzaffarabad in Pakistan occupied Kashmir and is presently headed by Syed Salahuddin.
- The Harkat -UL-Ansar also known as Harkat-ul Mujahideen was formed by the merge of two Pakistani groups and operates out of Muzaffarabad, capital of PoK
- The LeT or Lashkar -E-Taiba meaning the army of the pure was formed in 1990 is based in Murdike near Lahore, Pakistan and is headed by Hafiz Muhammad Saeed the mastermind of the Mumbai 26/11 attack.
- The Al-Badr is an active terrorist organization in Jammu and Kashmir, the organization was formed in June 1998 and is headquartered at Mansehra in Pakistan and reported to have a camp office in Muzaffarabad, Pakistan occupied Kashmir.
- Tehreek-ul-Mujahideen (TuM) was formed in June 1990 by Yunus Khan it is headquartered in POK, Muzaffarabad.
READ| ISIS Leader Abu Bakr Al-Baghdadi Seen After Five Years; Acclaims Terror Attack In Sri Lanka In A Video
(With PTI inputs)