Almost 150 Bushfires Still Burning In NSW

Rest of the World News

The Premier of New South Wales on Sunday said that the southeastern Australian state "does not have anybody that's unaccounted for" after a night of high tensions where the "preoccupation has been to save human life".

Written By Associated Press Television News | Mumbai | Updated On:
Australia

The Premier of New South Wales on Sunday said that the southeastern Australian state "does not have anybody that's unaccounted for" after a night of high tensions where the "preoccupation has been to save human life".

Gladys Berejiklian made the remarks at a joint news conference with New South Wales Rural Fire Service (RFS) Commissioner Shane Fitzsimmons.

Fitzsimmons said the night had been "the second busiest and most challenging day" with a great number of fires burning at the emergency warning alert level at any given time.

As of Sunday morning, one man is dead and hundreds of properties are feared lost after the latest day of bushfires swept through New South Wales.

The 47-year-old man died of a cardiac arrest on Saturday night while defending a friend's rural property near Batlow, southwest of Canberra.

There were just under 150 bushfires burning in NSW on Sunday morning, with emergency warnings issued for blazes in the southern highlands and on the south coast near the NSW-Victoria border.

A statewide total fire ban is in place on Sunday while a week-long state of emergency - the third in as many months - continues.

Published:
By 2030, 40% Indians will not have access to drinking water
SAVE WATER NOW
PEOPLE HAVE PLEDGED SO FAR
DO NOT MISS