Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu says Turkey is preparing to take steps to launch an international investigation into the killing of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi. In comments carried by state-run Anadolu Agency late on Monday, January 21, Cavusoglu said Turkey had prepared the groundwork and would soon take the "necessary steps." He did not elaborate.
The Washington Post columnist, who wrote critically about the Saudi crown prince, was killed inside the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul in October. The kingdom has indicted 11 people, including some from the prince's entourage, over the killing and is seeking the death penalty against five of them.
Turkey has complained of a lack of cooperation by Riyadh to ensure that all those responsible are held to account and has said it could seek an international probe.
The US President Donald Trump has brushed aside international outrage to stand by Prince Mohammed over the murder of Khashoggi, whose corpse was dismembered at the consulate.
His support has come despite the US Central Intelligence Agency's reported conclusion that Prince Mohammed very likely ordered the murder. A bipartisan resolution approved by the US Senate last month also held the crown prince responsible for the killing.
Riyadh prosecutors have announced indictments against 11 people and are seeking the death penalty against five of them. But they have exonerated Prince Mohammed, whose right-hand aides were allegedly involved in the murder.
Khashoggi's murder has cast a renewed spotlight on the Saudi military campaign in Yemen, gripped by what the UN calls the world's worst humanitarian crisis, but it was not clear whether the subject would be discussed during Monday's meeting.