Bahamas Prime Minister Hubert Minnis has confirmed that 30 people have died due to Hurricane Dorian in the Carribean island nations. Speaking to the media on Thursday PM Minnis confirmed the death total and also expects the total count to increase as the search and rescue operations continue. The death toll has increased by ten since the previous count. The country is one of the nations worst affected by Hurricane Dorian.
The island nation has been severely damaged by Hurrican Dorian, which struck the island nation earlier this week and has moved towards North and South Carolina in the United States. Although hurricane Dorian has been downgraded to category 2 currently, it was categorized as 'category 5' when it made landfall in the Bahamas. Hundreds of residents are still missing as homes, streets, commercial properties have been destroyed. The airport, which is a main and vital connection to the rest of the world has been reduced to debris.
As per news agency reports, the US Coast Guard said it had rescued 201 people in the Bahamas as of Thursday using multiple helicopters and Coast Guard cutters. World Meteorological Organization said, “It was the strongest on record to make landfall in the Bahamas. At its peak, it had maximum sustained winds of 270 kilometers an hour, which is absolutely huge, with gusts of up to 321 kilometers an hour. It’s life-threatening it’s devastating, it’s now weakened to the equivalent of a Category 3 hurricane. The winds are still devastating, the storm surge is still life-threatening and the rainfall is still torrential."
The statement on the website continued, "At its peak, Dorian had maximum sustained winds of 185 mph (297 km/h), and brought a storm surge of 18 to 23 feet (5.5 to 7 meters) above normal tide levels. Dorian remained stationary, thus exacerbating the impacts of the hazards – wind, rain, waves and storm surge. Satellite and aerial images showed unprecedented flooding and destruction in the worst affected islands - Abaco and Grand Bahama.'
PM Minnis said, "We are in the midst of a historic tragedy. The devastation is unprecedented and extensive. We are in the midst of one of the greatest national crises in our country’s history." He showed solidarity with the citizens and said that "no effort or resources will be held back.” The UN World Food Programme spokesperson said that the agency is making $5.4 million available, as part of a three-month Limited Emergency Operation (LEO), because of the severity of the situation. The operation will provide support to 39,000 people and, in a first phase, WFP will focus on procuring and distributing up to 85 tons of ready-to-eat meals for the most affected communities.