Pompeo Warns Iran Of 'Action' Over Attack On The US In Iraq

US News

United States Secretary of State, Michael R. Pompeo has warned Iran of "direct action" for any attacks on Washington in Iraq, even those using proxy forces, against US interests

Written By Asia News International | Mumbai | Updated On:
(Source: Getty)

United States Secretary of State, Michael R. Pompeo has warned Iran of "direct action" for any attacks on Washington in Iraq, even those using proxy forces, against US interests.

In an interview to CNN, Pompeo said, "We have told the Islamic Republic of Iran that using a proxy force to attack an American interest will not prevent us from responding against the prime actor."

READ: USA Imposes Sanctions On The Chinese Entity Equipment Development Department (EDD)

Pompeo further accused Iran of confronting the world as the "world's largest state sponsor of terror."

"We will not let Iran get away with using a proxy force to attack an American interest; Iran will be held accountable for those incidents".

He added while speaking on the recent rocket attack that was allegedly carried out by Iran-backed militias this month. The attack was said to target the US missions in Iraq.

On September 20, 2018, Pompeo also tweeted: ''Enjoyed chatting with Laura Ingraham on The @IngrahamAngle. Discussed #Iran, #Refugees, #ReligiousFreedom, #China, and more''.

READ: China, Not Russia A Greater Threat To US: Mike Pompeo

The White House blamed Shia militia groups for it and stated, "Iran did not act to stop these attacks by its proxies in Iraq, which it has supported with funding, training and weapons."

However, Iran's Foreign Ministry called the claims of the US as "astonishing, provocative, and irresponsible."
The tension between the two counties has increased after US President Donald Trump withdrew Washington from the Iran nuclear pact.

On May 8, Trump administration announced withdrawal from the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) or the Iran nuclear deal that limited Tehran's uranium enrichment in exchange for relief from some sanctions. 

Published:
By 2030, 40% Indian will not have access to drinking water
SAVE WATER NOW
PEOPLE HAVE PLEDGED SO FAR
DO NOT MISS