Advertisement

Updated December 18th, 2023 at 09:02 IST

FRIENDS star Matthew Perry's heartbreaking final days revealed by close friend

Matthew Perry's female friend said that he was “angry and mean” in the weeks before his death because he had been taking testosterone shots.

Matthew Perry
Matthew Perry file photo | Image:Matthew Perry/Instagram
Advertisement

Matthew Perry, best known for his role in FRIENDS, died on October 28. Recently, his autopsy revealed that the actor died of "acute effects of ketamine." Now, his female friend said that he was “angry and mean” in the weeks before his death because he had been taking testosterone shots.

Matthew Perry's friend makes shocking revelations

Mathew Perry’s autopsy report revealed a grimmer look at the star’s final days. It noted that aside from a lethal amount of ketamine mixed with the opioid-like drug buprenorphine, which is used to alleviate pain and help with addiction to opioids, he had been taking Tammoxifen to lose weight, antidiabetic medication and nicotine lollipops, reports pagesix.com.

(File photo | Image: AP)

Before his death, he was trying to quit smoking. His live-in assistant said he had been smoking about two packs of cigarettes per day. The medical examiner’s report further exemplified how heavily Perry relied on prescribed and over-the-counter medication to maintain his quality of life.

Advertisement

“In the assistant’s bedroom, there were multiple open, empty, half-filled medication bottles prescribed to the decedent, as well as over-the-counter medications, vitamins, digestive aids and dishes filled with multiple various loose pills, tablets, caplets, candy and breath mints,” the report read. In Perry’s bathroom, there were “prescribed ointments, digestive aids and oral rinses.”

Matthew Perry died of 'acute effects of ketamine'

The Friends star had been receiving ketamine infusions regularly before his death, but the report noted that the ketamine found in his body came from elsewhere. His last infusion occurred a week and a half before he died, and its half-life is only three to four hours.

“It is more likely this was recreational ketamine use,” Dr. Bankole Johnson, neuroscientists and physicians told Page Six exclusively. “It would be questionable medicine to provide ketamine to someone also using buprenorphine — a true recipe for disaster.”

Advertisement

Perry had previously written about his dislike of ketamine in his 2022 memoir 'Friends, Lovers, and the Big Terrible Thing: A Memoir', saying he often felt like he was “dying” during the treatments he received while staying at a Swiss rehab during the pandemic.

(File photo | Image: AP)

“Taking K is like being hit in the head with a giant happy shovel. But the hangover was rough and outweighed the shovel,” he penned.

Advertisement

“Ketamine was not for me.”

In fact, Perry was supposed to be off his infusions before he died, as his anesthesiologist Dr Ataoin (whose name was partially redacted in the autopsy report)‚ said he no longer needed the treatments because “his depression was fine.”

Advertisement

Furthermore, the unnamed female to whom the medical examiner spoke said the beloved actor was even in “good spirits” during their final conversation that took place days before his death.

This corroborates Jennifer Aniston’s story, who said she spoke to Perry the morning of October 28, hours before his assistant found him face-down in the pool of his $4 million Hollywood mansion.

Advertisement

Perry, who revealed in 2022 he spent about $9 million trying to stay sober throughout his life, wanted to be remembered not as Chandler Bing, his iconic “Friends” character, but as someone who helped guide people through their addictions.

(Inputs from IANS)

Advertisement

Published December 18th, 2023 at 09:02 IST

Your Voice. Now Direct.

Send us your views, we’ll publish them. This section is moderated.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Whatsapp logo