It goes without saying that potato is a popular ingredient in the Indian Kitchen. Reportedly, the vegetable was bought to India during the Portuguese Invasion. Reportedly, the word potato comes from the Spanish word 'patata'. Fried, baked or boiled, potatoes make for a scrumptious meal. Here are two recipes you can prepare using potatoes. Have a look at them.
Two recipes made with the root vegetable, potato
Potato gratin with garlic and cream
Potato gratin with garlic and cream is a recipe reportedly dug out of the Irish Kitchen. This recipe is prepared by cutting thin slices of potatoes to form different layers of sliced potatoes topped with cream. Here is the recipe for the soul-satisfying potato dish.
- 3-4 potatoes
- 1/2 tbsp Salt
- A pinch Nutmeg
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 20 Ml cream
- 10-gram cheddar cheese
- 15-gram parmesan cheese
- 10-gram butter
Here is how you can make potato gratin with cream and garlic:
- Start with washing and peeling the potatoes. Later, cut the peeled potatoes into thin slices. Keep the thin slices of potato in water for some time.
- Heat a pan with 20 ml of cream in it. Add some garlic, thyme and rosemary to the cream and heat the mixture till the cream is reduced. In the final stage of the process add some cheese into the reduced cream.
- In the final stage of the recipe, grease the baking dish and make layers of sliced potatoes and reduced cream. In the final stage, add some grated cheese to your dish and bake it for 25 minutes at 180°C or until the potatoes are cooked.
Also Read | Food: Chaat Varieties Across India That Will Leave Your Mouth Watering
Also Read | Quiet Cafes In Kolkata: 3 Cosy Cafes To Sip And Read In The City
Potato pickle is made of tossing potatoes with some indigenous spices. This lip-smacking potato dish makes for a great evening snack or a complaint to your meal. Have a look at the recipe for potato pickle.
- 750 gms boiled potatoes
- Frying oil
- 4 tsp onion paste
- 1 1/2 tsp ginger and garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 100 ml of water
- 2 tsp sugar
- 4 tbsp vinegar
- 8 dry whole red chillies
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp nigella seeds (onion seeds)
- Salt according to taste
Method to cook:
- Heat a pan with 4 tbsp of oil to saute boiled potatoes in them.
- In the next step, fry onions in 4 tbsp of oil with ginger and garlic followed by turmeric and chilli powder. Fry the mixture until the onions turn golden.
- Add potatoes to the onion mix and cook with some water for five minutes on low flame. After turning off the flame, add some sugar and 4 tbsp of vinegar.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in another pan. Add red chillies, cumin, mustard and nigella seeds and cook for 20 seconds. Pour it on the potatoes and your potato pickle is ready.
Also Read | Cashew: Delicious, Easy And Healthy Nutty Recipes To Try At Home
Also Read | Dinner Recipes: Time-saving Recipes That Can Be Quickly Made At Home