Want to go for a vacation? Travelling is the best escape for mental exhaustion and from the hustle and bustle of the city. No matter where a person plans to go - be it beaches, mountains or buzzing tourist city, keep your itinerary ready for a trip. But one also needs to remember that travelling comes with certain responsibilities too. As a sensible traveller, one has an obligation to protect the environment along with enjoying the trip.
ALSO READ | Camping Near Mumbai: Best Places To Explore For A Relaxed Weekend.
Sometimes people are not even aware that they are harming the environment. People at times unintentionally generate harmful waste and exploit the limited resources. One needs to be conscious and responsible for the environment to be an eco-friendly tourist. Here are some carefully curated list of tips on how to be a green traveller.
ALSO READ | Baga, Dudhsagar, Fort Aguada: Top 5 Places To Visit In Goa
Here’s what you can do to be a ‘green traveller’
- Plastic is harmful to nature and non-recyclable. It also harms marine life due to the plastic filling up the oceans.
- Hence, it not sensible to leave one-time use plastics including containers, straws, bags, cutlery, water bottles, tubes and other items that are immensely unsafe for the environment.
- To ensure a plastic-free environment wherever you travel, carry a refillable water bottle instead of purchasing a disposal one.
Don’t waste food
- To be a green traveller you should take some small steps and avoid ‘food wastage’.
- Order only the amount of food that you assure to finish.
- It could be a good idea to parcel the food, especially if there are toddlers or elders along.
- A large number of trees are being cut down each year for paper, which leads to deforestation, erosion of soil and floods. One can arrange for soft copies of tickets and other essential documents you would need while travelling so that you can save paper.
ALSO READ | Meditation Tips: A Simple Guide To Practice Meditation At Home
Reduce energy use
- Limit the use of energy to save the environment from getting harm. So keep in mind to turn off the lights, AC and TV when you leave your hotel rooms.
- Also prefer using public transport rather than personal transportation, to limit fuel consumption and carbon emissions.
- Water resources are already over-used and wasted all over the world. So, make it a point to save water while travelling.
- The best thing to do is selecting a shower over bath, as it wastes too much amount of water.
- Littering is a shameful activity that not only hinders the beauty of a landscape but also leads to unsuitable waste management and an unhealthy environment.
- So, try not to litter and always follow rules, i.e. wherever you go whether it be a camp, park, beach or any other place, make sure anything you carry the litter with yourself if there are no dustbins available.
ALSO READ | Thali In Mumbai: Best And Famous Thali Serving Restaurants In Mumbai