Published 07:22 IST, June 10th 2024

'Never underestimate Indians': India had only 8% chance of beating Pakistan, & it was enough again

India had an only 8% probability of winning the group stage match, whereas Pakistan had a 92% chance. It's safe to say that one should never undervalue India.

Reported by: Pavitra Shome
Follow: Google News Icon
  • share
Jasprit Bumrah, Rohit Sharma | Image: BCCI

It was an unmitigated disaster for Pakistan when they gave up a significant victory to Team India. At Nassau County Stadium in the Big Apple, the newest chapter in the greatest cricket rivalry provided some thrilling action that kept fans glued to their seats. In a low-scoring T20 World Cup group-stage match, Pakistan appeared to be the superior team while bowling first. Despite the odds and forecasts being stacked against them, Team India staged a historic comeback against the Men in Green. India is well-known for producing tough cricketers, and they put on an outstanding performance against Pakistan.

Also Read: 'Ban all these chokers': Here's how Pakistani media and PAK fans reacted to another loss to India


When the odds were against Team India, the Rohit Sharma-led side stages a vast comeback 

Team India suffered when compelled to bat after Pakistan won the toss. Despite possessing the giants Rohit Sharma and Virat Kohli, the Indian hitters were unable to compete at the contentious Nassau County International Cricket Stadium in the Big Apple, losing wickets early. While the middle-order lineup helped put some points on the board, the odds were stacked against the Indian Cricket Team. When the projections were projected on the displays, India was completely out of the running, with only an 8% chance of winning the group stage match, compared to Pakistan's 92% likelihood. To say the least, one should never underestimate the Indians.

However, the Indian team staged a tremendous comeback, similar to what they did in the T20 World Cup 2022 at the MCG when India was pursuing the target, and Pakistan tried to keep them in check. But Virat Kohli's masterful innings helped them attain their goal. In the T20 World Cup 2024, the bowlers were outstanding, keeping the batters at bay and preventing them from reaching the target.


Also Read: Bumrah is a genius, want him in this kind of mindset throughout World Cup: Rohit Sharma

Despite Rishabh's gallant effort amid gloomy skies, the Rohit Sharma-led squad suffered a mid-innings collapse on a two-paced surface, getting all out for 119 in 19 overs. Pakistan, a side capable of playing both brilliant and ridiculous cricket, appeared to be leading the match as they needed to collect 48 runs in as many deliveries and had eight wickets left. But, like the legendary Undertaker, Team India rallied with quick spells from the always-effective Bumrah (3/14) and Hardik Pandya (2/24) that saw Pakistan lose wickets at a rapid pace, finishing at 113 for seven in 20 overs.


07:22 IST, June 10th 2024