Poison Fire Corals Fungus Spotted In Australia's Rainforest In Cairns

Rest of the World News

A deadly Asian fungus has been spotted in Australia rainforest of Redlynch Valley in Cairns, Australian Tropical Herbarium (ATH) says.

Written By Divyam Jain | Mumbai | Updated On:
Poison fire corals

As per reports, a deadly Asian fungus has been spotted in Australia in the rainforest of Redlynch Valley in Cairns, Australian Tropical Herbarium (ATH) says. The fungus is usually found in Japan and Korea and is poisonous to touch because it can be absorbed. The fungus was identified in Far North Queensland in Australia.

Read Climate Change, Heat Wave Puts Pacific Ocean's Hawaii Coral In Danger

The fungus may be a natural occurrence

Reports say that ATH mycologist Dr Matt Barrett said that scientists believe it could be a natural occurrence. He said that mycologists don't really have a good knowledge of all fungi in northern Australia. He added that the distribution of fungus is all the way from South-East Asia as far as they can track it, however, records of the fungus are very disorganized. The bright red characteristic of this fungus is the only known fungus that is poisonous to touch, it produces at lease eigh toxic compounds which are absorbable through the skin. But fungus has been seen witnessed in China, Thailand and Papua New Guinea, as well as wind, must have spread its spores thousands of years ago. 

Read Australian Court Bans Shark Culling In Queensland, Great Barrier Reef

Read Underwater Museum: Great Barrier Reef To Open Its 'Museum Of Underwater Art' In December, With Sculptures On The Seabed For Divers

Fungus is deadly

As per reports, Absorbing it can be deadly as there have been several reported deaths in Japan and Korea where people have brewed and drunk tea with poison fire coral, which they have confused it for edible Ganoderma or Cordyceps which are often used in traditional medicine. If eaten it can cause what Dr Barrett says is a horrifying array of symptoms. Dr. reportedly says that  Initially, stomach pain, vomiting, diarrhoea, fever and numbness, followed over hours or days by delamination of skin on the face, hands and feet, and shrinking of the brain. If it is left untreated, death can occur from organ failure or brain nerve dysfunction.

(With inputs from Agencies)

 Read How Is Climate Change Leading To Freshwater Depletion?

ReadGreta Thunberg Marches In Montreal As Part Of Global Climate Protests

Published:
By 2030, 40% Indian will not have access to drinking water
SAVE WATER NOW
PEOPLE HAVE PLEDGED SO FAR
DO NOT MISS