Qatar's defence minister on Wednesday precluded the possibility of a war between the United States and Iran in the midst of rising tension in the Gulf following attacks on oil tankers. Doha is an ally of Washington and maintains good relations with Tehran. It has helped to overcome political and economic boycott by Saudi Arabia and its Gulf allies over accusations the tiny kingdom backs the Islamic republic and extremists.
During the Global Security Forum in Doha foreign minister Khalid bin Mohammed al-Attiyah said that he did not see a war between the US and Iran. He said both the countries are not interested in a war. Tensions have escalated in the Gulf in recent months with a series of drone attacks on oil refineries which have raised fears of a war between the arch-rivals. Two Saudi oil facilities were attacked by drones last month and Houthi rebels claimed the attacks. US claims that Iran was behind the attack and backed the Houthi rebels and charged that the rebels did not have the range or sophistication to target the facilities.
Tehran has refused the involvement with the Houthi rebels and warned of a total war if anyone attempts to attack its territory. The rising tensions between Iran and the US started when US President Donald Trump pulled out of a 2015 nuclear deal that was meant to lift sanctions in exchange for a commitment from Tehran to curb its atomic program. Trump reimposed economic sanctions and in May his government said it would unilaterally force all countries to stop buying Iran's oil, which is Iran's primary source of wealth. Iran has shot down an unnamed US drone but Trump opposed launching a strike on Iranian assets in June by saying it would cause maximum casualties.