A mosquito-borne virus known as Eastern Equine Encephalitis is causing a major health concern in many parts of the world. A person infected with the EEE virus in Connecticut has reportedly died and become the first fatality from the disease since 2013. The virus is rare and causes a potentially fatal illness due to the mosquito bites. Apart from the first death of the person diagnosed with the virus, another case has been reported where the second person has been tested positive for Eastern equine encephalitis. The authorities have allegedly urged the residents to protect themselves and their children by avoiding outdoor activities from dusk to dawn when the mosquitos are most active.
The patient who was reportedly tested positive became ill during the second week of September and still remains hospitalized. The laboratory tests have apparently confirmed the presence of antibodies to the virus that caused the disease. Renee Coleman Mitchell of the state Department of Public Health reportedly claimed that the identification of two Connecticut residents with EEE emphasizes the seriousness of this infection. She also suggests that one should be using insect repellent and cover bare skin and avoid being outdoors as mosquitoes continue to be active until the first heavy frost. States throughout the Northeast are reportedly experiencing an active season for the EEE.
Massachusettes have reportedly confirmed ten cases in the city. Michigan and Rhode Island have also confirmed cases where people have been tested to be infected by the virus. According to the reports three people have died in Michigan and one passed away in Rhode Island. The authorities have reported that only five to ten cases of the disease are reported every year and about 30 percent of the cases result in death. The basic symptoms of the virus start to take place within ten days after exposure. The symptoms might include headache, high fever, chills, body, and joint aches. If not diagnosed at an early stage it might also leade to severe encephalitis or brain swelling that may cause tremors, seizures, and paralysis.
(Inputs from agencies)