Republic TV and Jan Ki Baat have tracked the issues and controversies pertaining to the state of Chhattisgarh, where the two-phase assembly elections concluded on Tuesday. Through a survey comprising one lakh respondents across the state's 90 constituencies, the biggest factors that may determine the outcome on December 11 -- counting day -- have been determined, providing tremendous insight.
With the Congress and BJP going head-to-head, and Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Congress president Rahul Gandhi campaigning heavily in the state, along with long-time Chief Minister Raman Singh of the BJP and surprise face Navjot Singh Sidhu for the Congress, there is every chance that the election result may also be a referendum on the faces of the various parties, and the survey has provided answers:
1. A clear question, not just in this election but also in potentially all others till the 2019 Lok Sabha polls, is whose rallies will have the bigger impact - Narendra Modi's or Rahul Gandhi's. In the state of Chhattisgarh, people were asked whose rallies had the bigger impact
Whose rallies have had more impact in Chhattisgarh?
Narendra Modi: 60%
Rahul Gandhi: 40%
2. While the BJP has a clear Chief Ministerial face, Raman Singh, who has been the Chhattisgarh CM since 2003, the Congress is yet to commit to a single leader. And then there's former Chhattisgarh CM Ajit Jogi, who has Mayawati's support. People were asked the big question -- who is likely to be the next CM of Chhattisgarh?
Who is likely to be the next Chief Minister of Chhattisgarh?:
Raman Singh (BJP, CM since 2003): 65%
TS Singh Deo (INC): 15%
Bhupesh Baghel (INC): 8%
Ajit Jogi (Former Chhattisgarh CM, BSP ally): 12%
3. During campaigning, Congress president Rahul Gandhi ended up making a big mistake when he hurled corruption allegations at Madhya Pradesh CM Shivraj Singh Chouhan's son, when he actually meant to aim them at Chhattisgarh CM Raman Singh, offering what amounted to a non-apology for his blunder. While he continued to attack Raman Singh over allegations against his son, the respondents were asked about the efficacy of this attack:
Did Rahul Gandhi's attack on Raman Singh's son work in Congress' favour?
4. A big factor in determining the outcome of the election would be whether the long-serving BJP Chief Minister, Raman Singh, has delivered on development. Here's the answer:
Do you think Raman Singh delivered on development?
5. The Congress played a gambit by fielding former Team India opener and Punjab Minister Navjot Singh Sidhu in Chhattisgarh. Did the well-known Sidhu have an effect?
Has the Navjot Singh Sidhu factor worked for the Congress campaign?
From Chhattisgarh Exit Polls to Chhattisgarh Election Results, Republic World brings you all the latest happenings and breaking elections news. Check this space for all the latest Chhattisgarh election news, live updates and headlines from the Assembly Elections 2018.
Follow all the updates from the State Assembly Elections 2018, only on Republic World.