In the aftermath of massive violence that broke in Arunachal Pradesh over the permanent resident certificate (PRC) issue, chief minister Pema Khandu on Monday has assured that the government will not take up the matter again in future.
Violence broke in Arunachal Pradesh's capital Itanagar and several other places, leading to the death of at least two persons, several injured and destruction of properties and vehicles. Speaking in the matter, Arunachal Pradesh CM made it clear that the government will not take up the PRC issue further, requesting the public to put a hold on their protests.
"On the night of February 22, I had clarified through social media that the government will not hold further discussions over the PRC matter. Today also, an order has been issued via Chief Secretary that we won't take up PRC matter. I would like to assure the people in Arunachal Pradesh that government will not take up the matter even in future. This is a clear message. I would like to appeal to all those protesting that their demand had already been accepted by the government. PRC issue is closed now. I request them not to hold protests & dharna and cooperate with the government," said Pema Khandu.
He had posted a series of tweets on February 22, stating that the government had dropped the PRC matter.
On Sunday, Union minister Kiren Rijiju also said the Arunachal Pradesh government has decided to not accept the recommendations of a high-level committee to grant permanent resident certificates to six communities.
Violence broke out in multiple parts of Arunachal Pradesh on Friday during a 48-hour strike against the state's decision to grant PRC to non-Arunachali citizens. On Sunday, the angry protestors went on a rampage and set on fire the private house of Deputy CM Chowna Mein, burnt government vehicles and bus stops at Itanagar.