- The Rouse Avenue Court sent former Union Minister P Chidambaram to Tihar Jail on Thursday
- Karti himself has been granted bail in INX media case by Supreme Court in 2018
As the Rouse Avenue Court sent former Union Minister P Chidambaram to Tihar Jail on Thursday, his son Karti Chidambaram looked deflated and defeated. He resigned to his father's fate claiming that this is how things worked in the Indian legal system. This was a far cry from his triumphant fist gesture when he was granted bail in the INX-Media case by the Supreme Court on March 2018. Karti Chidambaram had appeared confident, cocky, unrepentant and now dejected and resigned.
WATCH | Karti Chidambaram's response to father's custody in Tihar: 'No merit'
Here's the journey of a confident Karti to a defeated Karti:
INX-Media case against Karti
- February 28, 2018: Karti Chidambaram arrested by the CBI in connection with the INX Media case for violating the Foreign Exchange Management Act at the Chennai Airport. He was sent to judicial custody in Tihar Jail (Cell No. 7). Incidentally, his father has also been housed in the same cell on Thursday.
- March 23, 2018: Supreme Court granted Karti Chidambaram bail after spending 23 days in Tihar Jail. He emerged out of court triumphant raising his fist and smiling for the cameras.
- August 7, 2018: Delhi court extended interim protection granted to P Chidambaram and his son Karti till November 1 in the Airtel-Maxis case. That protection is eventually extended till March 8, 2019.
- April 26, 2019: While the ED sought more time to gather evidence in the Airtel-Maxis case, Special Judge OP extends Karti's protection till May 30, 2019. The interim is yet again extended till August 23.
- March 25, 2019: A confident Karti filed for Lok Sabha nomination from Sivaganga, Tamil Nadu. He won the seat by defeating BJP H Raja in May 2019.
- May 2019: After the Supreme Court asked Karti to deposit Rs.10 Crore as surety, Karti had approached the apex court seeking for its release. This was dismissed.
READ | Karti Chidambaram rejoices after bail in Aircel-Maxis case, tweets
INX-Media case against father P. Chidambaram
- August 19, 2019: Even as the ED summoned his father in connection with the AirBus aviation case, Karti cheekily tweeted 'what next?' to the ED.
- August 21, 2019: The CBI and ED replied by placing his father P Chidambaram under arrest in connection with the INX-Media case. This rattled Karti, who immediately called it a political witch-hunt.
- August 21, 2019: After his father's dramatic arrest from his Delhi residence, Karti alleged that BJP was behind the arrest, saying, "Yes, of course, all of this is being done by BJP. Who else? You think Donald Trump? No."
- August 22, 2019: With former Home Minister P Chidambaram in CBI custody, Karti still maintained his confident demeanor saying, "My bail has been confirmed by the Supreme Court."
- September 5, 2019: A Delhi court on Thursday granted anticipatory bail to former finance minister P Chidambaram and his son Karti in the Aircel Maxis cases filed by the CBI and the Enforcement Directorate (ED). Rejoicing too early, Karti had tweeted, "We win some too."
- September 5, 2019: The same Delhi Court granted judicial custody to CBI, sending his father to the same cell he resided in 2018 in Tihar jail for 14 days. This finally deflates KArti as he states there is 'no merit' in judicial custody, adding that ' we will go through the process as this is how things work.'
WATCH | Karti Chidambaram clarifies on his bail as father sent to CBI custody
WATCH | Chidambaram arrested, Karti accuses: Of course BJP- who else, Trump?