General News

Malegaon Blast Case: Lt Col Shrikant Purohit Plea Seeking Stay On Charges To Be Heard By Bombay High Court; LIVE UPDATES

Written By Daamini Sharma | Mumbai | Published:

Update at 12:29 PM: "The order is positive as they have given direction as to who must take up the matter (regarding sanction)", says Aparna Purohit, Lt Col Purohit's wife

Update at 12:18 PM: In the Supreme Court, Lt Col Purohit's plea on illegal detention and torture by ATS dismissed. 

Update at 12:12 PM: While there is no immediate relief for Lt Col Purohit, the Bombay High Court has asked the trial court to look into the validity of sanction which was challenged by Lt Col Purohit, following which the trial will begin

Update at 12:03 PM: Order of the Supreme Court should be followed: Bombay High Court 


The Bombay High Court is on Tuesday hearing the case of Lt Col Shrikant Purohit, who was in custody for almost nine years in the 2008 Malegaon blasts case before his release last year, who had filed a plea seeking a deferment in the framing of charges against him and others. The petition challenges the sanction granted to prosecute Lt Col Purohit in the case.

A week earlier, Lt Col Shrikant Purohit moved the Supreme Court and sought a Special Investigation Team (SIT) probe into the matter pertaining to his alleged abduction and torture by the Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) in 2008. In April, Lt Col Prasad Purohit was given interim relief by the Supreme Court as he was granted the liberty to raise the issue of grant of sanction to prosecute him under the stringent UAPA at the time of framing of charges. 

Lt Col Purohit was arrested for allegedly masterminding the blasts in Malegaon in 2008 -- something that had been connected to the 'Hindu terror' charge that was mentioned by a number of key UPA ministers at the time but which has been shown to be little more than a political bogey. Six people were killed and nearly 100 injured when a bomb strapped to a motorcycle went off at Malegaon, a town in Nashik district of Maharashtra, on September 29, 2008. 

Read: Republic TV Exposes Chilling Proof That Congress Fixed Lt Col Purohit In Malegaon Blast Case

Earlier in June, a former member of the Mumbai ATS, currently suspended, told Republic TV that the recovered RDX that Lt Col Purohit was accused of having supplied to the Malegaon bombers was planted by the ATS under the then government's instructions. Mehboob Abdul Karim Mujawar, who was an ATS insider said, that the RDX was planted and the then ATS officers and the then government planted it.

"Whoever the ATS officials were at the time planted the RDX. It could be the government also,"said Mujawar.

Mujawar had also asserted it had to be someone from the inside as such a huge amount of RDX was not something very usual.

"It was someone from the system. It includes the ATS and everyone from the system. Such a huge amount of RDX is not something very usual, " said the ATS insider.

"It came from outside. someone got it from outside. Some of it was recovered, some of it was left. some of it was said to be recovered, the other was left,"he added.

DO NOT MISS