Zakir Naik To Lose Permanent Residency Of Malaysia, Probe Launched Over Controversial Remarks

General News

In a major diplomatic win for India, an investigation has been launched against controversial Islamic preacher Zakir Naik by Malaysian authorities on Friday over his intent to provoke a peace breach

Written By Digital Desk | Mumbai | Updated On:

In a major diplomatic win for India, an investigation has been launched against controversial Islamic preacher Zakir Naik by Malaysian authorities on Friday over his intent to breach the peace in the country and allegedly making sensitive remarks on the Hindus and Chinese residing in Malaysia. 

Addressing a press conference in Kuala Lumpur, Federal CID director Huzir Mohamed of the Selangor police said that as many as 115 reports have been launched on the matter. 

"We have opened an investigation paper based on a report made in Gombak. Around 115 reports have been lodged on the matter so far," Huzir Mohamed said.

Speaking in the matter, Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad has also stated that the country will revoke the Permanent Resident (PR) status of Zakir Naik if investigations show that his actions are against the well-being of the country. Releasing a statement, the Malaysian PM that the government is waiting for the result of the investigation, to take further decisions on the matter.

"He (Zakir) has PR status. We can take away the PR status if he does something that is detrimental to the well-being of the nation. At this moment the police are investigating if he is doing that or not. If he is doing it, then it is necessary for us to take away his PR status," Mahathir said as per local media.

READ | Malaysia Summons Controversial Preacher Zakir Naik, To Question Him For His Racially Sensitive Comments: Reports

Amid the controversy, Malaysian PM Mahathir Mohamad-headed Cabinet also issued a statement that Naik will no longer be allowed to stay in the country. 

"We have expressed our position which is that action must be taken and that Zakir Naik should no longer be allowed to remain in Malaysia," said Communications and Multimedia Minister Gobind Singh Deo and Human Resources Minister M Kulasegaran in a joint statement as per news agency ANI.

The statement also stated that the Malaysian PM has taken notes in the matter and decision will soon be taken to deal with the problem. 

Zakir Naik was reportedly granted a permanent residency in Malaysia by the previous government and he has been living in the country for the last three years. However, In India, he is facing charges of inciting communal disharmony and committing unlawful activities. Furthermore, the controversial preacher is facing probe both in India and Bangladesh in connection with the terror attack at the Holey Artisan Bakery in Dhaka on July 2016. Meanwhile, India has already made a formal request to Malaysia and will continue to pursue his extradition.

READ | Malaysian Minister Calls For Action Against Zakir Naik, Says, 'time For Him To Face Terror Charges In India'

(With agency inputs)

Published:
By 2030, 40% Indians will not have access to drinking water
SAVE WATER NOW
PEOPLE HAVE PLEDGED SO FAR
DO NOT MISS