Republic TV on Friday accessed a chilling letter that details a plot to assassinate Prime Minister Narendra Modi. The letter was allegedly recovered from the laptop of Rona Jacob, one of five persons who was arrested this week by the Pune Police in connection with the Bhima-Koregaon violence that brought Pune and Mumbai to their knees in the first few days of 2018.
1. All the dates regarding correspondences mentioned in the letter fall around the Uttar Pradesh assembly election results which were announced on March 11 and saw the BJP sweeping into power after a scintillating win.
2. There's a mention of "Rs 8 crore for annual supply of M4s with 4 lakh rounds"
3. The letter says: "We are working to consolidate ties with like-minded organisations, political parties, representatives of minorities across the country"
4. The letter mentions a proposal of "concrete steps to end Modi-raj" along the lines of "another Rajiv Gandhi type incident". Former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi had been assassinated on May 21, 1991, by suicide bombing in Sriperumbudur near Chennai. "It sounds suicidal", the letter says about the proposal.
5. "Targeting his road shows could be an effective strategy" the letter states.
As per top sources, the letter has been sent to the Union Home Ministry. A number of leaders have also spoken on the matter. Rajya Sabha MP Dr Subramanian Swamy said:
“This is a major national security breach. This is a case of misuse of the democratic system by those who are giving lectures on tolerance and intolerance. Therefore, we cannot take this lightly and we must get to the bottom of the letter,” said Dr Swamy.
Dr Swamy said that the person who wrote the letter and the one who received it should be immediately taken into custody and also demanded a multi-agency probe on the plan. He will also write to NSA Ajit Doval.
“The person who wrote the letter and the one who received the letter or named should be taken under custody under National Security Act (NSA). Then an FIR should be registered of this murder conspiracy. Then these people who have been speaking for the Maoists should be interrogated,” he said.