Former Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare Jagat Prakash Nadda has been appointed as the Working President of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) at the parliamentary party meeting on 17 June. He will take up the role even as Amit Shah - newly appointed Union Home Minister - will continue as BJP party President till the assembly elections till later this year, having led the party, alongside PM Narendra Modi, to its strongest ever position in Parliament by winning 303 seats in the 2019 Lok Sabha polls.
JP Nadda is the 11th President of the national party (though he is the first Working President, as per records) as he takes over the reins from Amit Shah. The former Union Minister was a member of Rajya Sabha from Himachal Pradesh and Parliamentary Board Secretary of Bharatiya Janata Party. Earlier, he was a Minister in Himachal Pradesh Government.
1. Atal Bihari Vajpayee - 1980 to 1986
2. Lal Krishna Advani - 1986 to 1991
3. Murli Manohar Joshi - 1991 to 1993
4. Lal Krishna Advani - 1993 to 1998 (Second stint as President)
5. Kushabhau Thakre - 1998 to 2000
6. Bangaru Laxman - 2000 to 2001
7. Jana Krishnamurthi - 2001 to 2002
8. Venkaiah Naidu - 2002 to 2004
9. Lal Krishna Advani - 2004 to 2005 (Third stint as party President)
10. Rajnath Singh - 2005 to 2009
11. Nitin Gadkari - 2009 to 2013
12. Rajnath Singh - 2013 to 2014 (Second stint as party President)
13. Amit Shah - 2014 to 2019
14. JP Nadda - now appointed Working President