Updated March 4th, 2024 at 09:42 IST

Bengaluru: NIA Takes Over Rameshwaram Cafe Blast Case

Bengaluru cafe blast: The blast was reported at Rameshwaram cafe on March 1 in Bengaluru’s Whitefield area which left 10 people injured.

Reported by: Digital Desk
Images of the suspect's movement have been captured by the CCTV cameras at Rameshwaram cafe | Image:Republic
Advertisement

Bengaluru: The probe into the Bengaluru's Rameshwaram cafe blast has intensified as the Ministry of Home Affairs on Monday handed over the blast investigation to National Investigation Agency (NIA). The blast was reported at Rameshwaram cafe on March 1 in Bengaluru’s Whitefield area which left 10 people injured. The central probe agency has already registered a suo moto case in connection with the blast. 

State Home Minister G Parameshwara had on Sunday said that eight teams had been constituted to probe blast. G Parameshwara said officials have collected the CCTV footage. The officials are examining all possible angles, including any jealousy angle. The Minister urged the opposition to cooperate and not politicise the blast.

Advertisement

He further said that it is not clear at the moment whether the blast had any connection with the Mangaluru blast.

Parameshwara said, "We are continuing our investigation. 8 teams have been formed and all are working in different directions and looking at different aspects. We have collected several CCTV footage. We are examining every angle including if there is any jealousy factor.”

Advertisement

He added, “I also appeal to the opposition to cooperate with us and not to make this a political issue...We do not know if there is any connection with the Mangaluru blast. They have used a similar material and the same system technically. Yesterday NSG arrived here. We will definitely find the person. We had a meeting yesterday and briefed the CM. Today, I have called a meeting of all the senior officers. BJP should not issue negative statements..."

Advertisement

In Mangaluru, an improvised explosive device (IED) kept inside a pressure cooker accidentally went off when it was being taken in an autorickshaw in November, 2022. Probe into the blast had revealed that the IED was meant to be planted at the Kadri Manjunatha temple. Investigators had found that the Mangaluru cooker blast was "Islamic State-sponsored" and had the involvement of a Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) operative.

The State Home Minister has called a meeting of all the senior officers in connection with the blast today.

Advertisement

Earlier, Siddaramaiah expressed confidence about nabbing the culprit involved in the blast at the cafe, as his movement had been captured by the cameras.

According to official sources, images of the suspect's movement have been captured by the CCTV cameras at Rameshwaram cafe and those nearby. The CCTV footage shows the suspect with a bag, wearing a cap and mask, walking and looking at wristwatch. Sleuths from the National Investigation Agency (NIA) and National Security Guard (NSG) reached the spot to help the local police in the investigation and shared some inputs with them. Efforts are underway to nab the accused.  

Advertisement

(With PTI inputs)
 

Advertisement

Published March 3rd, 2024 at 12:24 IST