Updated 22 February 2025 at 22:51 IST
Jaishankar Calls Trump’s Claim of USAID $21 Million Fund: 'Concerning and Worrisome'
S Jaishankar expressed concern over Trump's claim that USAID allocated $21 million for voter turnout in India, calling it "concerning and worrisome"
- India News
- 2 min read

New Delhi: External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar on Saturday expressed concern over US President Donald Trump 's claim that the United States Agency for International Development also known as USAID allocated $21 million "for voter turnout" in India, saying that the allegations are “concerning and worrisome” and also added that Government is “looking into it”
Jaishankar said that the USAID was allowed to operate in India in good faith "to do good faith activities", not for "activities which are in bad faith".
‘Concerning and Worrisome’, Say Jaishankar on USAID Row
At a Delhi University Literature Festival, EAM Jaishankar said, “Some information has been put out there by the Trump administration people, and obviously, that is concerning... I think, as a government, we're looking into it. My sense is that the facts will come out.....USAID was allowed here in good faith, to do good faith activities”
"It's worrisome, and if there's something to it, then the country should know who the people are involved in it," Jaishankar added.
Advertisement
Jaishankar said, “Suggestions are being laid out from America that there are activities which are in bad faith.”
Advertisement
Whole row began when the Department of Government Efficiency (DOGE), led by Elon Musk, revealed that USAID allocated $21 million to increase voter turnout in India.
The Trump administration’s DOGE on February 16, canceled several projects, including USAID's $21 million funding for voter turnout in India. BJP leaders cited this as proof of the allocation, accusing Congress of using external forces in Indian politics and urging the opposition to clarify its role.
The controversy intensified after Trump’s claim earlier this week, with BJP leaders accusing Congress and Rahul Gandhi of staying silent on a matter that could affect India’s electoral integrity.
Get Current Updates on India News, Entertainment News, Cricket News along with Latest News and Web Stories from India and around the world.
Published By : Snehal Jaiswal
Published On: 22 February 2025 at 22:30 IST