Bird watching has been fascinating for everyone from time immemorial. Colourful birds chirping, flipping, and tweeting around is a treat to the senses for children and grown-ups alike. Making paper birds is one of the great craft ideas to carry pleasure indoors. A DIY paper bird may not fly, but yes, it gives wings to your imagination.
There are several ways to make a paper bird. A combination of origami and paper cutting can be more satisfying to create a variety of paper birds invading your home as much as your backyard. Let us see what you will need.
· A premade bird template, or design your own
· Coloured cardstock
· Coloured paper
· Patterned paper
· Sharp-edged scissors
· Coloured marker pens
· Eye stickers
· Glue Stick
Like the different types of birds you see daily around you, make several birds of different shapes, colours, and sizes for creative pleasure.
1. Cut out the bird template or, better still, draw a bird that fascinates you on a thick paper and cut it out.
2. Pick the cardstock paper in the colour of your choice and fold it in the middle lengthwise. Carve out the bird shape using scissors from your bird design or the template that is drawn on the folded edge.
3. Fold the bird body in half but only slightly. Make slits on both sides to help hold the wings.
4. In the next step, choose two pieces of coloured paper to make wings for the bird. Use proper colour combinations to make the paper bird attractive and stand out. Fold both the pieces of coloured paper in an accordion pattern. Twist it slightly in the middle and keep it aside.
5. The first is for the main wings and the second for the tail wings. Fold the second in the middle and cut it into two equal pieces.
6. Take the first accordion paper and push it through the slit made in the body, bend it upward, and spread out the accordion to give a shape of spread-out wings.
7. Take the two tail wing pieces and staple it at the end of the body.
8. Cut out two triangular pieces for the beak. Glue them together on each side of the bird’s face.
9. From the thick coloured cardstock paper, cut out two belly sections. Fix them with glue on both sides of the bird to complete the shape.
10. Fix the eye sticker and decorate with a marker pen to add effect, and your paper bird is ready.
Paper is an excellent material for craft ideas, and the paper bird is one among them. Make a variety of birds, string them up, and hang them to float indoors in the breeze and see your garden come alive.