Dhanteras 2019 will be celebrated on Friday, October 25 this year. Dhanteras is celebrated on the birthday of Dhanvantri who appeared during Samudra Manthan (sea churning) along with the urn of nectar (Amrit Kalash). The main highlight of this festival is 'shopping' which is considered to be auspicious on this day. Dhanteras falls on the Trayodashi of Krishna Paksha of Kartik month every year. According to the experts, the Trayodashi time will start from 04:32 PM on October 25th till night and last till 02:08 PM of October 26. During this time, you can shop for the auspicious occasion of Dhanteras. The Diwali festivities begin with Dhanteras and ends with Bhai Dooj or Bhau Beej. There are numerous stories associated with Dhanteras celebration.
ALSO READ| Karwa Chauth: Bollywood Stars Celebrate The Festival With Zest
Dhanteras 2019: Dhanteras shopping items
- You can buy gold or silver ornaments, brass utensils, earthen lamps, etc.
- Idols or pictures of Ganesha and Goddess Lakshmi are also bought on Dhanteras to be worshipped in Diwali.
- Some people buy gold or silver coins as a good investment option as compared to gold or silver ornaments.
- You can buy 11 Gomti Chakras for the health and prosperity of your family.
- Some people buy whole coriander on Dhanteras worship it on Diwali and then sow some of the grains in a pot.
ALSO READ| Penguin Festival To Celebrate Readers' Love For Classics
- According to Indian mythology, Goddess Lakshmi enters the house when you purchase a broom on Dhanteras which is then used for worship on Diwali. (The logic could be that because we sweep the house to remove the negativity, so symbolically the poverty is also swept away from the house)
- The businessmen, shopkeepers or any entrepreneurs can buy new account logbook and diaries on Dhanteras.
- Electronic items are also considered auspicious these days. On this day, you can shop for mobile phones, laptops, ovens, fridges etc.
ALSO READ| Diwali 2019: Must-see Destinations In India To Celebrate The Festival
Dhanteras 2019: What not to buy on Dhanteras
According to Indian customs, while there are many items that are considered auspicious for Dhanteras shopping, there are some items that are advised to be avoided. For example, it is advised to avoid purchasing iron and aluminium utensils on Dhanteras. The elders also advice to avoid bringing empty dishes into the house and the colour black on the auspicious day of Dhanteras. Each family has their own set of beliefs and rituals that they follow and this is what makes the festivals in India rich in culture.
ALSO READ| Diwali 2019: Games To Play This Festival To Light Up Your Family Party