Khichdi is a blend of rice and pulses and has been considered as comfort food for sick days. Monsoon is the season when we all crave for hot and delicious food; khichdi can be that healthy hot treat at that time. A plate of khichdi can be nutritious with plenty of carbohydrates, iron, protein and all that the body needs. Khichdi can be made with millets and vegetables and not just cooked as a basic dal and rice combination. Here are some easy-to-make and interesting khichdi recipes.
ALSO READ | Travel Cakes: Cakes That You Can Easily Prepare For Your Next Trip
3 interesting ways to cook khichdi easily
Dal Khichdi Risotto
- 120 gms boiled toor dal
- 160 gms Arborio rice Par cooked
- 60 ml ghee
- 3 gms mustard seeds
- 2 gms curry leaves
- 1 gm asafoetida
- 50 gms chopped onion
- 8 gms chopped garlic
- 40 gms chopped tomatoes
- 7 gms chopped chilly
- 5 gms turmeric powder
- 10 gms red chilli powder
- 8 gms roasted cumin powder
- 40 gms mozzarella
- 30 ml of cream
- Salt to taste
- 1 fried Papad
- 20 gms parmesan
- Heat 40 ml ghee in pan crackle mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Add chopped onions garlic and cook till they are brown then add the powdered spices and cook further. Add tomatoes and cook till they soften.
- Once the masala is done, add the cooked dal.
- Then add the half-cooked Risotto rice and some stock water and let it cook for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Once the rice is cooked, add the parmesan cheese, butter and some cream. Adjust seasoning and finish off by adding in some freshly chopped coriander.
- Garnish with papad chura: crush the papad, and mix in ghee and red chilli powder.
ALSO READ | Cooking Without Oil: Try Your Hand At These Healthy Zero-oil Recipes!
- 60 ml of mustard oil
- 4 gms cumin seeds
- 2 whole dry red chilli
- 2 bay leafs
- 1 medium-size onion, chopped
- 8 gms garlic paste
- A paste made of turmeric, cumin powder, coriander powder and red chilli powder in water
- Chopped tomatoes (optional)
- Par-boiled cauliflower, carrot, French beans, peas and potato
- Salt to taste
- A mixture of rice and masoor dal: 1 cup of rice and dal each (washed, soaked and prepared separately)
- Heat mustard oil in a pan.
- Add cumin seeds and let it crackle. Add dry red chillies and bay leaves.
- Add chopped onion and garlic paste. Sauté well.
- Add the masala paste. Sauté further.
- Add tomatoes (if using) and fry for five minutes.
- Add par-boiled vegetables and sauté for two to three minutes.
- Place the rice and dal mixture, salt and water. Mix well and let it simmer for five to seven minutes.
- Cover the pan with a lid and let it sweat for five minutes.
- Pour it in a serving dish. Sprinkle a pinch of garam masala, chopped coriander leaves and ghee.
- Serve hot with papad and sweet tomato chutney.
ALSO READ | Salad: Healthy Tuna And Bean Salads For A Healthy & Tasty Lunch
Oats and Tuna Khichdi
- 100 gm oats
- 50 gm tuna, tinned
- 2 gm green chillies, finely chopped
- 20 gm coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 50 gm onion, chopped
- 1 small lemon
- 10 ml of olive oil
- 10 gm parmesan cheese
- 10 gm mozzarella cheese
- Salt to taste
- Soak oats for five minutes in water and drain it.
- Heat olive oil in a pan.
- Add onions and sauté until transparent.
- Add green chillies. Sauté for a minute.
- Add soaked oats and around 100 ml water.
- Cover and cook until the oats are soft. Add more water only if required.
- Add chopped coriander and grated mozzarella cheese. Mix well. Adjust seasoning.
- Add tuna flakes. Mix further.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Serve hot.
ALSO READ | How To Make Masala Oats: Masala Oats Recipes For Weight Loss
(Lead image courtesy: Instagram/d.srujan)