Fresh and beautiful are the two adjectives which describe cherries. The lovely color and sweet taste of this fruit make it a topping on ice creams, pastries and fruit cakes. The ample benefits of cherries come from the following nutrients present in the fruit. A cup of cherries contain -
- 3gms fiber
- Less than 90 calories
- 260mgs of potassium
- 16% of daily recommended Vitamin C
- Cherries are free from fat, sodium, and cholesterol.
Cherry Health Benefits:
The juicy, red cherries are one of the most flexible food options; raw or as juice, cherries can be eaten in the way one likes.
1. Cherries Reduce Obesity
Benefits of cherries for weight loss make it a great food item for obese people because,
- Cherries are fat and cholesterol free.
- This fruit boosts the metabolism rate.
- Cuts down the additional fat in the body.
For these reasons, cherries are an integral part of the diet chart.
2. Control Hypertension
Cherries balance the blood pressure in the following ways,
- Sodium is the main enemy when it comes to high blood pressure; cherries do not contain sodium.
- Moreover, the dietary fiber present in cherries reduces the bad cholesterol in the body. 1% reduction in cholesterol is known to lower the heart-related issues by 2%.
- Also, the potassium present in the cherries strengthens the heart.
- The anthocyanins present in cherries give the fruit its red hue and safeguards the tissues surrounding the heart.
3. Fight Nausea
To get over the jet lag and insomnia, a cup of cherries can be of great help.
- Cherries relieve headaches.
- The melatonin content of the fruit fights against these health conditions; melatonin is produced by the pineal gland of the brain.
- Amongst the different types of cherries available, the tart cherries mostly contain melatonin. This hormone regulates the sleep cycles and the internal body clock.
- Tart cherry juice should be taken in morning and 1 or 2 hours before going to bed at night to get relief from insomnia.
4. Relieves Pain
Gout is a common problem around the world; almost 8 million people suffer from this health issue. If uric acid crystallizes in the joints, it might lead to swelling and excruciating pain; uric acid is a waste in the body.
- Cherry in any form, extract or juice, may reduce almost 35% of gout risks.
- This fruit might reduce the pain and inflammation caused by gout and arthritis.
- Osteoarthritis patients should include cherry drink either in meal or snacks to lessen the joint pain.
- Cherries can even reduce the pain caused by workouts.
- This fruit can also protect the body cells from wear and tear or help in muscle recovery.
- Tart cherry juice is a popular sports drink as it increases the red blood cell count and blood circulation.
5. Control Blood Sugar Levels
Diabetic patients and individuals prone to type-2 diabetes can have cherries because
- Cherries can satisfy the sweet tooth without shooting up the blood sugar levels in the body.
- The fruit also has a considerably lower rank in the glycemic index which means after consuming a cup of cherries people will not get any spike or crash in the blood sugar and insulin levels.
6. Strengthen Bones and Brain
Cherries make strong bones in the following ways,
- The calcium content of cherries makes the bones strong.
- For this reason, the fruit can relieve the risks of osteoporosis.
- The calcium and phosphorous minerals also boost brain health.
7. Enhance Skin Glow
Benefits of cherries for skin are immense.
- Antioxidants present in cherries can fight chronic diseases.
- Safeguards the body from free radicals.
- Antioxidants repair cell damage and prevent oxidation of cells which is responsible for wrinkles and dull skin.
- The multivitamin powerpack of cherries adds radiance to the skin.
- The moderate water content of cherries flushes out toxins from the body, ensuring lesser acne and pimples.
- As cherries induce sound sleep, this fruit is also considered good for the skin.
- A face pack of cherry juice, turmeric and honey can improve the skin tone.
8. Aid Shining Hair
Cherries can add shine to lifeless locks.
- Vitamin A and E present in a glass of cherry juice can strengthen the follicles, lower hair loss, and breakage. This keeps the hair scalp hydrated and thus prevents hair fall.
- Vitamin B improves blood circulation and thus regenerates the existing cells and triggers hair growth.
- Vitamin C gives a natural glow to the hair. This vitamin type prevents split ends by stimulating new hair follicles.
9. Relieve Digestion Issues
The alkaline content of the fruit increases the list of benefits of cherries.
- This chemical ensures pH balance and reduces the acid levels in the body.
- Acidity leads to infections and growth of bacteria; alkaline reduces acid levels which in turn solves stomach aches and indigestion.
Cherries are cultivated only during the summer months. So, if fresh cherries are not available in other months of the year, people can still have it as freezer dried, juice and preservative free dried cherries. Consume this fruit in the following forms to enjoy cherries health benefits.
- Whip frozen cherries
- As powder in smoothies
- As a topping in mocktails
- As fruit cream in fruit salads
- Topping on a bowl of yogurt
- As an addition in overnight oats
- As a combination of cherry juice and water
- Sprinkle on salads and cooked vegetables
- As topping on cheesecakes, pies, and tarts
- Include chopped cherries in melted dark chocolate or nut butter.
So, adding cherries in a small amount to the regular diet can offer great health benefits to the body. Cherries health benefits can be enjoyed to the fullest only if the complete lifestyle is healthy. If an individual is not suffering from any specific health condition, then half a cup of cherries every day is enough.
Note: Please consult your dietitian before proceeding with the aforementioned diet.