MC Mary Kom Hits Out Olympic Medallist Abhinav Bindra Over His Tweet

other sports

Mary Kom on Saturday responded to Abhinav Bindra's tweet by saying that boxing was not his business to interfere and that it is better for him to stay quiet

Written By Jitesh Vachhatani | Mumbai | Updated On:
Mary

Celebrated Indian boxer MC Mary Kom on Saturday responded to Olympic medallist Abhinav Bindra's tweet by saying that boxing was not Bindra's business to interfere in and that it is better for him to stay quiet on boxing. This comes after Nikhat Zareen had written to Union Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju demanding a fair trial for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics after which Bindra had re-tweeted Zareen's tweet and said that, "an athlete's life is offering of proof." Zareen, in her letter to the Sports Minister, also alleged that the selection for World Championships was anonymously cancelled and Mary Kom was sent without any selection. 

"They have got together to conspire against me": Mary Kom

Mary Kom, who recently bagged the bronze medal at the World Championships, said that she had immense respect for the champion shooter but it's better if he stayed in his sports only.

"I agree that Abhinav Bindra is a great shooter. But my message to him will be to stay within his sports only and not interfere in other sports. I know exactly what is the link. Its the JSW link. They have now got together to conspire against me," she alleged.

She also said that Bindra is an Olympic gold medallist but she too, has won multiple golds at World Championships. "I know a lot about boxing but not much about shooting which is why I would not comment on shooting. Similarly, Bindra does not know anything about boxing and hence, he should stay out of it. This is not his business, to involve in boxing, to interfere," she added. 

READ | Nikhat Zareen Writes To Sports Min Kiren Rijiju, Demands 'fair Trial'

While speaking to Republic TV, Mary Kom also said that she had won eight World Championship medals, including six golds and that she was shocked by all of this. When queried about Nikhat Zareen's challenge for a fair trial, she said, "Who is she?  Let the Boxing Federation of India decide whom they want. How can she cry like this? She cannot lobby to get a place in the Indian team. This is not done."

READ | Mary Kom Leads India's Quadruple Challenge In World Championship Semis

Nikhat's letter to Sports Minister

In the letter addressed to the Sports Minister, Zareen gave a brief background of her victories in the past and then alleged that on August 6 and 7 when she arrived in Delhi for the World Championship selections, the selections were cancelled and Mary Kom was sent. In her letter, she also said, "After this decision, the BFI announced that gold and silver medallist will be exempt from the Olympic trials. Today, I have reliably been informed that the rule is now being changed again to accommodate my senior, Mary Kom as the candidate without a trial."

READ | Manju Rani Rewrites History With A Silver On World Championship Debut

READ | "Who Is She?" Mary Kom Lashes Out At Challenger Nikhat Zareen

Published:
By 2030, 40% Indian will not have access to drinking water
SAVE WATER NOW
PEOPLE HAVE PLEDGED SO FAR
DO NOT MISS