Conor McGregor recently took to Twitter and wished Frankie Edgar a happy birthday in an attempt to call out the former Lightweight fighter for a showdown in December. McGregor, who was last seen in the cage against Khabib Nurmagomedov, seemed very serious as he asked UFC President Dana White to book the fight and also offered to donate his purse to charity.
It did not take long for Frankie Edgar to respond, who also seemed very interested in the bout. He also noted that it was on Conor McGregor and Dana White to turn this fight into reality. This is what he tweeted in acceptance to the callout.
Thanks pal, I said yes already it's on you and @danawhite to make it happen.— Frankie Edgar (@FrankieEdgar) October 16, 2019
UFC chief Dana White was quick to shoot down Conor McGregor’s demand to book a fight against the former Lightweight Frankie Edgar. Dana White, in an interview yesterday addressed the callout made by Conor McGregor and said the fight would not happen given Edgar is two weight class below the Irishman. Frankie Edgar was supposed to take on Aljamain Sterling which ultimately fell off owing to the latter’s injury. Not just that, he also mentioned that Frankie is nearing the end of his MMA career and may end up getting a championship opportunity once again, hence, the McGregor fight would not make any sense.
Unfortunately, there is not not a lot of information out there on Conor McGregor’s next fight. Dana White had earlier stated that McGregor will be fighting in 2020, but has not offered any details on whom he will be fighting next. However, there are tons of options for Conor McGregor at the moment. Stay updated for more UFC news and updates.