AITA's Decision On Indo-Pak Davis Cup Tie Post ITF's 'security Review'

Tennis News

After top players expressing their concern to play in Pakistan, AITA today held an emergent meeting and took a decision to wait till ITF's "security review"

Written By Suman Ray | Mumbai | Updated On:
AITA

After top players expressing their concern to play in Pakistan, All India Tennis Association today held an emergent meeting in Delhi and took a decision to wait till ITF's "security review" of Islamabad on November 4 and take a final decision. 

"Security is a concern"

"Yes its a matter of concern and so we have decided to wait till November 4. Let ITF review the security situation there. We have put across players concern to the ITF again. We will take a final decision whether we will play or not with Pakistan on November 4," Hiranmoy Chatterjee told Republic TV immediately after the meeting. Earlier, Chatterjee told that the emergency meeting was been called to take the players concern into cognizance and take an appropriate decision. "We may or may not arrive at a decision today. But yes this is the only issue. Security is a concern and that's why we have called the meeting to take stock of the situation."

READ | "Cheating against Mary Kom; Conspiracy against India": Sushil Kumar

Some of the main Indian players had once again expressed "security concern" and reluctance to play Pakistan in their soil for the Asia-Oceania Davis Cup tie. "Yes, some of the players have indeed expressed security concern. Not all. But yes some of them. Security is an issue. But there are others who might agree to play and that's the reason why AITA is having a meeting," Mahesh Bhupathi told Republic TV over the phone. 

READ | Sports Ministry makes sporting infrastructure 'free & accessible'

The second incident of players expressing their concern

This is the second time some of the top players have expressed their concern. Last month, after the players had raised similar concern, All India Tennis Association (AITA) had informed the ITF (international body) forcing them to postpone the Davis Cup tie to a later date in November.  ITF will be doing security review in Pakistan and will take a final call on November 4 whether to go ahead or shift the venue to a neutral place. The rescheduled Davis Cup tie between India and Pakistan was tentatively scheduled on November 29 or 30 in Islamabad subject to another security review.

READ | "No rules" for BCCI Electoral Officer? Absent during nominations

READ | BCCI chief-elect Sourav Ganguly's focus only on "cricket & cricketers"

Published:
By 2030, 40% Indians will not have access to drinking water
SAVE WATER NOW
PEOPLE HAVE PLEDGED SO FAR
DO NOT MISS