President of Turkey Tayyip Erdogan told the President of United States Donald Trump on October 16 that Turkey will not declare a ceasefire in northeastern Syria for a negotiation with the Kurdish forces. Currently, Turkey has an ongoing military operation against the Syrian Kurdish YPG militia to eradicate all “terrorist” forces and create a safe zone around the border. The Russia-backed army in Syria has moved on to the key city of Manbij which was earlier abandoned by the US forces. President Trump had retracted all US troops from northeastern Syria ahead of Turkey's military offensive in Syria.
President Trump had also released a statement regarding Tukey's actions in Syria saying that he will soon be issuing an Executive Order authorizing the imposition of sanctions against the Turkish government along with the people who are contributing to the offensive. In reply to this, the Turkish President talked to the reporters on a flight back from Baku and said that the US has asked them to declare a ceasefire that they can never do. Moreover, President Erdogan is also not worried about the sanctions, as their goal is “clear”. YPG was also reportedly the key component among the forces who fought for Islamic State. Ankara views these forces as “terrorist group” which are linked to the Kurdish separatist insurgents in Turkey. The Turkish leader also believes that "once the flag goes up, it never comes down".
Statement from President Donald J. Trump Regarding Turkey’s Actions in Northeast Syria pic.twitter.com/ZCQC7nzmME— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 14, 2019
Earlier this week, President Erdogan said that he asked the US leader over a phone call to send US delegations to Ankara in order to discuss their nation's demands and reach an agreement. The White House has also reportedly said that Vice President Mice Pence will meet with the Turkish leader on October 17. Moreover, President Trump's decision to retract the American troops after a phone call has not only led to heavy criticism for the US leader but also paved the way for the Turkish military to start their 'Operation Spring of Peace' in the northeastern border. However, President Trump believed that it was time for US soldiers to come “home” and guard their own borders instead of staying for the next 50 years in the middle east to guard borders between Turkey and Syria.
Reportedly, when President Erdogan was asked about the deployment of Syrian forces in Manbij, he was not bothered. He reportedly said that the regime entering the northern town is not a worry for him because it is their land, however, the terrorist organizations should not remain there. Russian President is also informed about the Turkish leader's wish to clear the area of any terror forces for which the logistics will be provided. Yesterday, after the loss of one Turkish soldier in Manbij, President Erdogan believes that it made the regime pay a heavy price in return.
(With agency inputs)