The two prominent US Airlines announced their plans on November 8 to extend the Boeing 737 Max cancellation period from their given schedules until March 2020 as the aircraft continues to fall under intense scrutiny. The MAX aircraft was grounded by regulators all over the world earlier this year after two deadly crashes that killed 346 people. The Federal Aviation Administration issued its order on March 13, 2019. Southwest Airlines, which operates the largest US-based fleet of Boeing 737 MAX jets announced Friday that it expects the plane returning to service on March 6, 2020. American Airlines then unveils that they expect MAX to continue flying again on March 5, 2020.
However, the dates provided by the two airlines are flexible as they expect Boeing to complete its work on the jets to fix the existing problems and regulators signing off on those improvements. Boeing’s best selling plane, 737 MAX has been grounded since March after crashes in Indonesia and Ethiopia killed 346 people. Vice President of Boeing, Darren Hulst said that Boeing is concerned about the safety of the passengers. Currently, 737 MAX is grounded but they have 800 test flights on the new technology and are in touch with US regulator FAA and safety regulators across the world. He added that the incidents of the 737 MAX have a negative impact on every single person of the Boeing Company.
He added that the company will also contact the pilot community to ensure the safety of the passengers. The two major airlines are facing losses for nearly $1 billion since the aeroplanes have been grounded, according to the reports. Boeing said that it has submitted software changes to the FAA expecting of getting the MAX certified to fly again. Southwest and American have been in discussions with Boeing and asking them to compensate for the losses and delays on delivery of new aircraft.