Providing assistance to auto-drivers, Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister YS Jagan Mohan Reddy on Friday, launched the 'YSR Vahana Mitra scheme' at Eluru, according to ANI. The scheme is named after his late father and former Andhra CM YS Rajasekhara Reddy. As shared by ANI, the scheme provides Rs 10,000 allowance to self-employed drivers of autos, taxis & maxi-taxis. This amount is reportedly given for recurring expenses of insurance, repair, and maintenance of the vehicles.
READ | Andhra Pradesh: CM Jagan proposes green tax, ban on single-use plastic
'YSR Vahana Mitra scheme' launched
As per reports, Jagan Mohan Reddy had promised the implementation of the scheme prior to the state Assembly polls, during his 'Padayatra' in Eluru on May 14, 2018. Reports state that the scheme has been launched on a test run on Friday. Text messages of the scheme will reportedly be sent to the beneficiaries. The government has received 1,75,352 applications under the scheme, according to reports. Authorities have reportedly cleared 1,73,102 applications which include 1,56,804 auto drivers, 5,093 maxi drivers and 1,205 taxi drivers.
READ | Jagan Mohan Reddy to keep Andhra Pradesh capital in Amaravathi: Scoop
Features of 'YSR Vahana Mitra scheme':
- At least four lakh people are estimated to benefit from the scheme
- An applicant will receive Rs. 10000 a year
- The State government has allotted a budget of RS. 400 crore for the implementation of the scheme - SCs are allotted Rs. 68 crore, STs - Rs. 20 crore and the remaining amount for others.
- Family of the auto-driver is considered a single unit for the beneficiary under the scheme. In case the family owns a separate commercial taxi or auto, then it will be considered as a separate beneficiary.
- Transport commissioners and district collectors will sort the applications and select beneficiaries.
READ | Godavari boat tragedy: Andhra Pradesh CM Reddy announces compensation
Criteria for eligibility
- An applicant shall 'own' and 'drive' an auto rickshaw, taxi, maxi cab. The applicant must possess a valid driving licence. At the time of application, the vehicle must be in possession of the applicant.
- The vehicle (auto rickshaw, taxi, maxi cab) shall be covered with valid records e.g - Registration certificate.
- Family defined as Husband, wife and minor children will be eligible to get benefits for one auto or Taxi or Maxi cab.
- Each applicant shall have an Aadhar card, must have BPL/white ration card.
READ | Jagan Mohan Reddy & KCR decide to link rivers and discuss bifurcation
Here is the link to apply for the scheme: www.aptransport.org