A Junior Commissioned Officer (JCO) posted in Jammu and Kashmir’s Nowshera sector was martyred after Pakistani troops resorted to yet another violation of ceasefire in an unprovoked attack using mortar shelling and small arms fire at various places along the Line of Control (LoC). According to sources, the JCO was martyred within 500 metres of the LoC. The identity of the martyred JOC has not been disclosed, sources have said. Students at nearly half a dozen schools along the LoC in the Mendhar sector remained stranded at their respective institutions following mortar shelling by Pakistani troops. According to sources, Pakistani troops initiated small arms fire in Mendhar and Balakote areas at around 11.30 am, followed by intense mortar shelling around 1.20 pm.
Previously on October 20, two soldiers were martyred and a civilian was killed as Pakistani troops violated the ceasefire in Tanghar sector of Jammu and Kashmir's Kupwara district, police said. Three civilians were also injured in the firing by Pakistani troops, they said. Two houses were damaged in the incident. Additionally, the attack also destroyed two cars and two cowsheds which housed over 19 sheep and cattle. One rice godown was also damaged.
Retaliating to Pakistan's ceasefire violation to aid infiltration into Kashmir, the Indian Army, on Sunday, October 20, had launched a counterattack on terror camps inside Pakistan Occupied Kashmir (PoK) opposite the Tangdhar sector. Sources report that the Indian Army has used artillery guns to target the terrorist camps which have allegedly been trying to push terrorists into Indian territory. This attack was launched after Pakistan violated ceasefire in the Tangdhar sector in Jammu and Kashmir's Kupwara district, earlier in the day.
Pakistan has often used civilians as bait along the LoC. Earlier on September 8, sources reported that Pakistan is using Kashmiri civilians in Lam and Charhoi village in Pakistan Occupied Kashmir (PoK) as human shields against firing. On September 1, Army personnel were martyred when the Pakistani Army targeted forward posts and villages in the Shahpur-Kerni sector. This raised the death toll in ceasefire violations by Pakistan in the twin districts of Poonch and Rajouri since July to eight -- six soldiers and two civilians. On March 7, following the Pulwama terror attack by Pakistan based terror organisation Jaish-e-Mohammed, the Indian Army had warned Pakistan of 'dire consequences' after their Army targeted civilians across the LoC. There has been a rapid increase in ceasefire violations from the Pakistan side along the LoC for the past 2 years