Pumpkin soup is the best, not only because it is perfect comfort food for chilly days but also because it is relatively guilt-free with only 85 calories and approximately less than one gram of fat a cup. Here is the recipe for ginger pumpkin soup with swiss cheese. In case you are planning on cutting down calories from your diet, you can use fat-free milk instead of heavy cream. As a warning, you should be aware that using fat-free milk instead of heavy cream will change the taste of the soup. The soup will become much less sweet than before. You can use honey or maple syrup to increase the amount of sweetness to taste. To add even more flavour, you can use coconut milk. Take a look-
Ginger Pumpkin Soup with Swiss Cheese
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups canned pure (unsweetened) pumpkin puree
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 1 cup half and half cream
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Gruyère or Swiss cheese, divided
- Salt and ground white pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped (optional)
Also Read | Tiger Striped Mocha Chocolate Cake: Ingredients And Recipe Here
Also Read | Learn How To Make Fresh Homemade Pasta Along With Dough Preparation
- Melt the butter over medium heat in a large saucepan.
- Add onion and saute until it begins to turn golden in colour, which will be after about 4-5 minutes.
- Then add broth, pumpkin puree, and bay leaf.
- Bring it to boil and reduce the heat to low.
- Cover it with a lid and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Discard the bay leaf.
- In small batches, pour the soup in a food processor or a blender.
- Blend the soup to a smooth consistency.
- Return to the pan and stir in the half and half.
- Add orange zest, orange and lemon juices, nutmeg and ginger.
- Stir in one cup of shredded cheese.
- Heat it, keeping on low, heat until the cheese melts and blends in completely.
- Add salt and white pepper (according to taste).
- Pour into individual bowls and garnish with remaining cheese (if desired).
Also Read | Kargil Vijay Diwas | Chef Sanjeev Kapoor To Prepare 'Tiranga Kheer' At Dras To Mark Kargil Victory's 20th Anniversary
Also Read | Souffle: Here's How To Prepare A Spinach And Gruyere Souffle At Home
- Preheat oven to 350oF.
- Take two cups of bread chunks with two tablespoons salted butter, half teaspoon garlic powder, and one-fourth teaspoon Italian seasoning, in a bowl.
- Spread it onto a rimmed baking sheet.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of finely grated parmesan.
- Bake it for 15 minutes.
- Let it cool at room temperature.