Updated June 1st, 2024 at 10:13 IST

Mike Tyson vs Jake Paul clash rescheduled after boxing icon was deemed unfit for titanic clash

Boxing heavyweight Mike Tyson's fight against influencer Jake Paul has been rescheduled after the 57-year-old Tyson became ill on a flight this past weekend.

Mike Tyson and Jake Paul face off during a news conference promoting their upcoming boxing bout in Arlington, Texas. | Image: AP
Advertisement

The much-anticipated boxing clash between Mike Tyson and Jake Paul has met with an unforeseen circumstance lately. The boxing fight, which was deemed a legitimate one, has been officially rescheduled due to an issue that Tyson suffered before the two boxing titans would meet in the squared circle. However, the controversial bout will not take place on the given date, as it has been postponed until further notice.  

Also Read: I took him down: Islam Makhachev reveals he floored Leon Edwards ahead of UFC 302 fight vs Poirier

Advertisement

Mike Tyson suffers a health scare, postpones boxing clash with Jake Paul

Heavyweight boxing titan Mike Tyson and influencer turned boxer Jake Paul's scheduled fight on July 20, 2024, at the AT&T Stadium in Dallas has officially been postponed after Tyson suffered an unfortunate health scare. After Tyson's ulcer flared up during a flight earlier this week, doctors declared him physically unfit, therefore the professionally sanctioned will now happen at a later time. The 57-year-old boxing heavyweight felt nauseous and dizzy when he was travelling from Miami to Los Angeles. First responders attended the former heavyweight champ.

Advertisement
Katie Taylor, Mike Tyson, Jake Paul and Amanda Serrano, from left, pose for photos during a news conference promoting their upcoming boxing bouts in Arlington, Texas  | Image: AP
 

“During a follow-up consultation on Thursday with medical professionals on his recent ulcer flare-up, the recommendation is for Mike Tyson to do minimal to light training over the next few weeks and then return to full training with no limitations,” the fight’s promoters said in a statement.

Also Read: Conor McGregor seen partying and getting intimate with Dee Devlin ahead of UFC 303 fight vs Chandler

Advertisement

Mike Tyson has yet to be in a professional clash since June 2005, and both fighters have said that they would announce a new fight date in the next week. In a statement, Tyson warned Jake Paul, saying that he will return to full training and is ready to deliver an unforgettable performance.  

“My body is in better overall shape than it has been since the 1990s, and I will be back to my full training schedule soon. Jake Paul, this may have bought you some time, but in the end, you will still be knocked out and out of boxing for good. I appreciate everyone’s patience and can’t wait to deliver an unforgettable performance later this year,” Tyson said in the statement.

Advertisement

Jake Paul wished Tyson well as he recovers, saying that he supports the decision to postpone the event instead of cancelling it so that Tyson has no excuses to come to the bout.

Advertisement

Published June 1st, 2024 at 10:13 IST