'Trump And Rouhani's Choice To Meet Or Not At United Nations'

Rest of the World News

French President Macron claims that conditions for Donald Trump & Iran President Rouhani to meet at UN are in place; it's their decision now to move forward.

Written By Sheetal Shenoy | Mumbai | Updated On:
Donald Trump

French President Emmanuel Macron said that conditions for US President Donald Trump and Iran President Hassan Rouhani to meet at the United Nations are in place and that it is their choice whether they want to move forward. After the French President had separate meetings with Trump and Rouhani, Macron believes the conditions to negotiate have been created, reported international media. He also added that it would be a lost opportunity if both Presidents didn't meet at the UN meeting. Donald Trump hasn't ruled out the possibility of meeting with Hassan Rouhani even though a meeting is not scheduled.

Read: Macron Says Trump And Rouhani Not Meeting Would Be A Lost Opportunity

'Urging Diplomatic Solutions'

Sharing his thoughts about the Presidents meeting, Macron added, "There is a common intent to progress and to not just find the terms of de-escalation, but to build a long-term accord." The French President has been urging for a diplomatic solution to the crisis going on between the US and Iran which led him to meet the Iran President twice. He has also proposed economic incentives aimed at persuading the Iranian leader to hold talks with Donald Trump. Tension escalated between the nations after Donald Trump withdrew from the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPoA) deal last year. JCPoA is an agreement on the Iranian nuclear program formed between Iran, the five permanent members of the United Nations Security Council with Germany and the European Union.

Read: UNGA: Trump Calls On Countries To Stop Subsidizing Iran's 'blood Lust'

UK, France, And Germany Blame Iran

On September 23, British Prime Minister Boris Johnson, French President Emmanuel Macron, and German Chancellor Angela Merkel said that Iran was responsible for the Saudi oil attack at the United Nations. In a joint statement released by France, the three leaders said, "It is clear for us that Iran bears responsibility for this attack. There is no other plausible explanation." Denying any involvement in the incident, Iran's Foreign Minister Javad Zarif said that he has no reason to believe Houthi rebels were lying when they claimed responsibility for the attack on key Saudi oil facilities.

(with ANI inputs)

Read: Saudi Oil Attacks: UK, France, And Germany Hold Iran Responsible

Read: Trump Backs Egypt President Sisi, Says, 'not Concerned' With Protests

Published:
By 2030, 40% Indian will not have access to drinking water
SAVE WATER NOW
PEOPLE HAVE PLEDGED SO FAR
DO NOT MISS