Updated 22 February 2026 at 23:37 IST
3 Attempts In 2 Years: How Mar-a-Lago Shooting Incident Raises Fears Over Trump's Security After Charlie Kirk's Assassination
Fears over the security of US President Donald Trump surged sharply after an intruder tried to break into his Mar-a-Lago resort in West Palm Beach, Florida. This is the third such security scare linked to Trump in 2 years. The repeated incidents highlight an escalation of political violence in US.
- World News
- 4 min read

Washington DC: Fears over the security of US President Donald Trump surged sharply on Sunday after an intruder tried to break into his Mar-a-Lago resort in West Palm Beach, Florida. Notably, this is the third such security scare linked to Trump in the past two years. This comes just months after America was left shaken by the assassination of conservative commentator Charlie Kirk in broad daylight. The repeated incidents highlights an escalation of political violence in the United States of America.
July 2024
In July 2024, a man shot at Donald Trump in Butler, Pennsylvania, in broad daylight when he was campaigning for the Presidential elections. Trump, who was then the former President of USA, was left injured after the assassination bid as the bullet shot by the assailant grazed his ear.
A 20-year-old man named Thomas Crooks had fired eight rounds at Trump from the roof of a nearby building. The US Secret Service shot and killed Crooks on the spot, preventing him from firing more shots at Trump.
As security officials escorted him from the stage, Trump, bleeding from the ear, was heard saying, “Fight! Fight! Fight!”
Advertisement
September 2024
Just months after the first assassination attempt, another bid to his life was made in September when a man brandishing a rifle was spotted waiting for Trump near the latter's golf course in West Palm Beach. Trump was a candidate for the Presidential elections with this incident took place.
Ryan Wesley Routh, a 58-year-old Russo-Ukrainian war activist, had been planning the attack for months. On September 15, 2024, he hid in the bushes near the golf course for hours and as he pointed his rifle through the fence line, a Secret Service agent noticed the threat and fired at him. Routh fled from the scene but was caught later. He has been sentenced to life imprisonment.
Advertisement
Assassination of Charlie Kirk
Charlie Kirk, right-wing political activist and a close ally of Trump, was shot dead while speaking at an outdoor debate at the Utah Valley University on September 10, 2025. A 22-year-old man named Tyler James Robinson, positioned on the roof of a building near the university, fatally shot Kirk in the neck in broad daylight in the presence of thousands of people.
Kirk is survived by his wife, Erika Kirk, and two small children.
Following the horrific assassination of Kirk, Trump said, “I'm filled with grief and anger at the heinous assassination of Charlie Kirk on a college campus in Utah. Charlie inspired millions. And tonight, all who knew him and loved him are united in shock and horror. Charlie was a patriot who devoted his life to the cause of open debate and the country that he loved so much, the United States of America.”
This is a dark moment for America.
February 2026
On February 22, 2026, an armed man tried to ‘unlawfully’ enter US President Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago resort in West Palm Beach, Florida. Agents observed that the individual, identified as Tucker Austin Martin, was allegedly carrying what appeared to be a shotgun along with a fuel can while approaching the secure perimeter.
Palm Beach County sheriff Rick Bradshaw said that before being shot dead, the man was told to drop the items (shotgun and fuel can) he was carrying. However, the man refused to comply to the command and raised the shotgun to a shotting position before the security agents killed him.
According to the Secret Service, the incident occurred at around 1.30 am (local time) near the north gate of the Mar-a-Lago property.
Trump, who usually spends his weekends at Mar-a-Lago, was today fortunately at the White House in Washington D.C. along with First Lady Melania Trump when the incident took place. Despite his absence at the scene, concerns over his security continues to mount due to the repeated threats to his safety.
Published By : Nidhi Sinha
Published On: 22 February 2026 at 22:02 IST