Falta Re-Poll Twist: TMC’s Jahangir Khan Withdraws Citing Suvendu’s Development Push; CM Mocks Exit As ‘Running Away’

TMC’s Jahangir Khan Withdraws From the Falta Repolling Battle

Follow :  
×

Share


TMC’s Jahangir Khan Withdraws From the Falta Battle | Image: Republic

In a dramatic twist just two days before repolling in the Falta Assembly constituency, Trinamool Congress (TMC) candidate and Abhishek Banerjee’s close aide, Jahangir Khan, announced on Tuesday that he is stepping away from the contest and will not contest any future elections.

While the sudden withdrawal has sent shockwaves through Bengal’s political circles, West Bengal Chief Minister and BJP leader Suvendu Adhikari pulled no punches, mocking the exit as an act of cowardice.

"He ran away as he won't get any polling agent," Chief Minister Suvendu Adhikari said, taking a direct swipe at Khan and the ruling TMC.

 Adhikari’s sharp critique frames the withdrawal not as a strategic choice, but as a complete collapse of the TMC's grassroots support and organisational machinery in the constituency.

 A Sudden Exit Amid Electoral Turmoil

The Election Commission ordered repolling in Falta for May 21 after widespread allegations of booth capturing and voter intimidation marred the earlier phase of voting. Falta has quickly become the epicenter of renewed political drama, leaving the TMC without its official candidate in one of the state's most closely watched seats.

Khan took to X (formerly Twitter) to announce his departure, attempting to frame the move around local governance:

“I have withdrawn from the 2026 assembly election. This decision is for Falta’s development and the public good, following the Chief Minister’s special package. I remain committed to Falta’s progress. Jai Hind, Jai Falta.”

Addressing a press conference, Jahangir Khan said, "I am the son of Falta and I want Falta to be at peace and grow. Our CM Suvendu Adhikari is giving a special package for the development of Falta, which is why I am separating myself from the re-polling of the constituency."

 High-Voltage Campaigns Collide

The announcement came right on the final day of high-stakes campaigning. Earlier in the day, Chief Minister Suvendu Adhikari held a massive roadshow in Falta to energize BJP cadres ahead of the repoll. Beginning with rituals, an arati, and offering puja at a local temple, Adhikari's rally saw large crowds of BJP supporters gathering to the chants of “Jai Shri Ram,” signaling the party's aggressive push into South 24 Parganas.

Before Khan's sudden announcement, the TMC had also been actively projecting absolute confidence. The party's official handle had recently shared footage of TMC National General Secretary Abhishek Banerjee drawing massive crowds on his way to Falta to campaign for Khan.

TMC Distances Itself From Jahangir Khan’s Exit, Blames BJP Intimidation in Falta

The Trinamool Congress has clarified that Jahangir Khan’s decision to withdraw from the Falta re-poll is entirely personal and not that of the party. In a strongly worded statement, the party alleged that since the declaration of election results on May 4, more than 100 of its workers have been arrested in Falta Assembly constituency alone. Offices have been vandalised, shut down, and forcibly captured in broad daylight, while the Election Commission has “turned a blind eye” despite repeated complaints.  

TMC said that even under such relentless pressure, its cadre has remained “rock-solid” and continued resisting what it described as BJP’s intimidation through agencies and the administration. However, the party admitted that some workers eventually succumbed to the pressure and chose to step away from the field.  

Condemning Khan’s withdrawal, the party vowed to continue its fight against what it called the “Bangla Birodhi BJP” both in West Bengal and in Delhi, asserting that the struggle will not be derailed by intimidation or violence.  

What Lies Ahead

With Jahangir Khan out of the race and the BJP capitalizing heavily on the narrative of a fleeing opponent, the May 21 repoll is braced for an unpredictable, tense showdown. The Election Commission is expected to monitor the constituency with heightened scrutiny as the opposition sharpens its campaign to seize a highly symbolic victory in South 24 Parganas.

 

Published By : Priya Pathak

Published On: 19 May 2026 at 14:06 IST