Updated 13 January 2020 at 12:20 IST

Badminton world number one Momota hurt in Malaysia crash: report

Badminton world number one Kento Momota was among four people lightly injured in a crash in Malaysia on Monday which left their driver dead as per reports

Follow :  
×

Share


null | Image: self

Badminton world number one Kento Momota was among four people lightly injured in a crash in Malaysia on Monday which left their driver dead, reports said, hours after he won the Malaysia Masters tournament.

READ: "Champions League? I wouldn't bet against Manchester City" says legend Kompany

The Accident

The accident happened in the early hours on a major highway as the group headed for Kuala Lumpur International Airport in a van, official news agency Bernama reported. The vehicle crashed into the back of a lorry, which was traveling slowly, and the driver died at the scene, the agency said.

"The victim's body and all the injured were sent to" hospital in the administrative capital Putrajaya, fire and rescue department senior official Norazam Khamis was cited as saying.
 

The fire and rescue department did not immediately respond to requests for comment and the identity of the others hurt was not immediately clear.

READ: Spanish Super Cup final: Real Madrid hold their nerve to beat Atletico; Sergio Ramos stars

Momota's badminton career 

Momota had been in Kuala Lumpur to take part in the Malaysia Masters badminton tournament. He won easily on Sunday, defeating Denmark's Viktor Axelsen 24-22, 21-11 in a boost for his Tokyo Olympics preparations. The 25-year-old Japanese enjoyed a stellar 2019, winning a record 11 titles including the World Championships, Asia Championships, and All England Open. 

(Image Courtesy: PTI)

READ: Barcelona lose Suarez for key four months after knee surgery

READ: Hyderabad FC appoints Albert Roca as the new head coach

Published By : Press Trust Of India

Published On: 13 January 2020 at 12:20 IST