Four Dead and Eight Wounded After Gunman Opens Fire in Southern Turkish City of Mersin
According to reports from the private news agencies, the deadly rampage began when the unidentified assailant opened fire inside a restaurant, killing at least two people on the scene.
A massive police manhunt is underway in southern Turkey after a gunman opened fire across multiple locations in the city of Mersin on Monday, killing at least four people and wounding eight others.
According to reports from the private news agencies, the deadly rampage began when the unidentified assailant opened fire inside a restaurant, killing at least two people on the scene. The attacker then targeted individuals in separate locations nearby, claiming two more lives before fleeing the area by car.
Law enforcement officials have launched a large-scale operation to locate and apprehend the suspect. Police units, backed by helicopter surveillance, have cordoned off key areas of the district as they track the assailant's escape route. No motive has yet been established for the shootings, and emergency services continue to treat the eight wounded victims at local hospitals.
Past Violence: Recent Mass Shootings Spark Concern
The incident follows a wave of gun violence in the country. Just one month ago, a 13-year-old opened fire at a Turkish school on a Wednesday, killing nine people and wounding 13. The attack forced students to jump from windows to escape, marking the second school shooting in the country in as many days.
That attack unfolded in the Kahramanmaras province in the south of the country, a region where mass shootings are usually rare.
"We regret to report nine deaths (...) and 13 wounded. Six of them are currently in intensive care, three of whom are in critical condition," Interior Minister Mustafa Ciftci said in a statement, upping the previous toll of four dead and 20 wounded.
Kahramanmaras province governor Mukerrem Unluer told reporters earlier that day: "A student came to school with guns that we believe belonged to his father in his backpack. He entered two classrooms and opened fire randomly, causing injuries and deaths."
The attacker, an eighth‑grade student, was the son of a former police officer, Unluer said, adding that the suspect was carrying five guns and seven magazines. He died during the incident.
"We suspect he may have taken his father's weapons," the governor said. "He shot himself. It is not yet clear whether this was suicide or happened amid the chaos," he said.
Following the incident, the official Anadolu news agency reported that police detained the ex-student's father, Ugur Mersinli.
Panic and Escalation
Footage released by the IHA private news agency showed a person, body and face covered, being evacuated in an ambulance, alongside tearful parents who had rushed to the school in Kahramanmaras.
Another video, filmed by a resident of a nearby building and verified by AFP, captures students jumping from a first-floor window of the school to escape the gunfire, while dozens of others flee through the courtyard. Roughly 15 gunshots can be heard in the one-and-a-half-minute video.
In the wake of the shooting, police increased security around the building, and television footage showed multiple ambulances in the area. The incident prompted both the interior and education ministers to travel to the city, while Justice Minister Akin Gurlek stated that prosecutors had launched an immediate investigation.
Growing Security Vulnerabilities in Schools
The Kahramanmaras shooting occurred just one day after another former student opened fire with a shotgun at his former high school in the Siverek district of Sanliurfa province, located in the center of the country. In that incident, the gunman wounded 16 people, including 10 students, before killing himself during a showdown with police.
Published By : Avipsha Sengupta
Published On: 18 May 2026 at 21:44 IST