Updated December 16th, 2023 at 08:16 IST
Matthew Perry's cause of death revealed, FRIENDS actor died of 'acute effects of Ketamine’
Prior to his passing, Matthew Perry had been undergoing ketamine infusion therapy, reportedly as a treatment for depression and anxiety.
Matthew Perry, best known for his role as Chandler Bing on the popular sitcom FRIENDS, died on October 28. The actor was found dead in a hot tub. After more than a month, the cause of his death has been revealed. The toxicology report from the Los Angeles County Medical Examiner’s Office has unveiled the details surrounding the untimely death.
What's the cause of Matthew Perry's death?
According to the report, Matthew Perry passed away from "the acute effects of ketamine," a powerful anaesthetic. The exact method of intake remains unknown. In addition to ketamine's acute effects, contributing factors in the FRIENDS actor's demise included drowning, coronary artery disease, and the effects of buprenorphine, a medication used to treat opioid use disorder. The Los Angeles County Medical Examiner's Office ruled the manner of death as accidental.
Matthew Perry underwent Ketamine infusion therapy
Prior to his passing, Matthew Perry had been undergoing ketamine infusion therapy, reportedly as a treatment for depression and anxiety. The toxicology report emphasises that the high levels of ketamine found in postmortem blood specimens could lead to cardiovascular overstimulation and respiratory depression, ultimately contributing to the tragic outcome.
Authorities discovered Perry's lifeless body in a hot tub at his Los Angeles home on October 28, 2023. Responding to a cardiac arrest call, first responders found no signs of foul play or drugs at the scene.
About Matthew Perry's death
It was confirmed at the time Matthew's death was reported that there had been no obvious signs of trauma. A Los Angeles Fire Department spokesperson told the BBC that first responders attended an address in the Pacific Palisades area after there had been a "water emergency".
Previous TMZ reports state that sources have suggested that no foul play is suspected and that no "illicit narcotics" were found on the premises.
It added that the autopsy report states that Matthew died at his residence and that his body is now ready to be released to his family for burial or cremation. The circumstances of his death are said to be being looked into by the authorities.
It's said that in Matthew's final hours, he had been playing pickleball - similar to squash - for over an hour before coming home to relax. On his return, it's said the actor asked his assistant to run an errand for him and when he returned he found the actor lying unresponsive in the water and called for help.
(Inputs from IANS)
Published December 16th, 2023 at 08:16 IST