Advertisement

Updated December 20th, 2023 at 14:28 IST

Delhi Metro's Blue Line to be extended to Sahibabad, foot overbridge to link RRTS with metro

To streamline transportation for commuters, the DMRC has also proposed to integrate the planned station at Sahibabad with Rapid Rail present there.

Delhi Metro
According to the DMRC, the Sahibabad metro station will be built opposite the existing Sahibabad Rapid Rail Station in Ghaziabad’s Vasundhra. | Image:Shutterstock
Advertisement

Ghaziabad: The Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) is all set to expand its footprints in the NCR region as it has submitted a revised route plan for Blue Line Metro corridor expansion. 

The Blue Line Metro's Dwarka Sector 21-Noida Electronic City corridor will be extended beyond Noida Electronic City and it will culminate at proposed Sahibabad Metro Station. To streamline transportation for residents and commuters in the region, the DMRC has also proposed to integrate the planned station at Sahibabad with the Rapid Rail present there.

Advertisement

5 stations planned on 5.2-km metro route 

According to the DMRC, the Sahibabad Metro station will be built opposite the existing Sahibabad Rapid Rail Station in Ghaziabad’s Vasundhra on the other side on Link road. Five Metro stations have been planned at 5.2km- route to expand the Blue Line network which will cross through Ghaziabad. The proposed Metro stations are Vaibhav Khand, DPS Indirapuram, Shakti Khand, Vasundhara Sector 5 and Sahibabad.

Advertisement

To enhance connectivity, a foot overbridge has also been planned to connect the proposed Sahibabad Metro Station and  Rapid Rail station there. Making it easier for travellers to effortlessly transfer between Blue Line Metro train and Delhi-Meerut Rapid Rail line without having to exit the building. 

In order to extend the Blue Line to Sahibabad, the DMRC had filed its first report in 2018. However, to cut project cost, the idea was altered several times during the ensuing years. When the Rapid Rail alignment work started, DMRC was asked to design a strategy for Sahibabad station integration. 

Advertisement

As per Manvendra Singh, the chief engineer at Ghaziabad Development Authority, the 5.2 km Metro route will culminate at Sahibabad and will be integrated with the Namo Bharat station on the other side of Link Road. Singh explained that the elevated nature of the entire route eliminates the need for land acquisition, with pillars to be erected along road medians.

The Rapid Rail's interface with the Blue Line's Dwarka to Vaishali section will occur at Delhi's Anand Vihar, conveniently linking different sections of the Metro network. Notably, the Sahibabad Rapid Rail station is in close proximity to the Vaishali station on the same Link Road.

Advertisement

To fund the estimated Rs 1,517 crore expenses for the Metro route, the UP government, following a cost-sharing formula, will contribute 80 percent through its agencies. The remaining 20 percent of funds will come from the Central government. The state government's commitment will be divided equally between the Ghaziabad Development Authority (GDA) and the Housing Board.

 

 

Advertisement

Published December 20th, 2023 at 14:27 IST

Your Voice. Now Direct.

Send us your views, we’ll publish them. This section is moderated.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Whatsapp logo