Updated December 23rd, 2023 at 19:36 IST
Man, 2-month-old daughter burnt alive as quilt catches fire due to room heater at night
The incident was reported in the Khairthal-Tijara district of Rajasthan under the Shekhpur Police Station area on the night of December 22.
A man and his 3-month-old daughter lost their lives after their quilt caught fire because of the room heater. The incident was reported in the Khairthal-Tijara district of Rajasthan under the Shekhpur Police Station area on the night of December 22.
According to the police, identified as Deepak Yadav, he was burnt alive along with his daughter Nishika due to the room heater which was switched on over night.
Deepak's wife Sanju, on the other hand, received severe burn injuries. She was rushed to the hospital thanks to the neighbours who arrived at the scene after hearing cries.
It was the neighbours who extinguished the fire and sent Sanju to a nearby hospital where she is admitted in a critical condition. Her husband and daughter were declared dead when they were taken to the hospital. Police said that the deceased man worked as a driver.
This is not the first time when a case of fire caused due to a room heater has been reported. Earlier in January this year, two cases were reported in Uttar Pradesh's Hamirpur and Sitapur. A woman and her two daughters who were sleeping with their room heater on died due to the resulting fire. Similar case was reported in Sitapur where a family of four died due to asphyxiation caused by harmful gases from their heater.
Experts advise never to sleep with room heaters switched on as the risk of asphyxia is high when the device is running and their is no outlet for the accumulating carbon monoxide and other harmful gases. This results in the inefficiency of oxygen which blocks the respiratory process leading to death.
Published December 23rd, 2023 at 19:36 IST