Updated December 24th, 2023 at 19:46 IST
Pregnant woman dies, 4-year-old son critical after inhaling toxic geyser gas in Bengaluru
Identified as Ramya J (23), the woman was in the bathroom giving bath to her son Samrat when both of them collapsed due to the toxic geyser gas.
A six months pregnant woman lost her life due to the gas released by the geyser installed in her bathroom. According to the Police, the incident was reported on Saturday in Bengaluru's Sadashivnagar when the woman was giving a bath to her 4-year-old son. The boy is currently in a critical condition and is being treated at the MS Ramaiah hospital.
Identified as Ramya J (23), the woman was in the bathroom giving bath to her son Samrat. While the boy collapsed due to lack of oxygen, the woman was declared 'brought dead' after she rushed to the hospital.
Reports say she was discovered by her husband Jagadish, a vegetable vendor, who heard the sound of flowing water in the bathroom. He broke open the door to rescue the two but could only save his son, Police said.
An officer said that Jagadish was about to take his family to a temple on the eve of Vaikunta Ekadashi for which the woman was giving bath to his son.
The harmful carbon monoxide released from the gas geyser is being reported as the cause of death. Cheaper than an electric geyser, a gas geyser uses combustion to heat the water which makes them unsafe. This combustion also causes the releases of harmful gases, which when not allowed to escape, affects the respiratory process causing breathing difficulties and even death, as seen in this case.
Notably, it is not the first case of death due to gas geyser that has been reported this year. Earlier in June, a soon-to-be-married couple were found dead in the bathroom of their residence in Bengaluru North's Chikkajala.
Published December 24th, 2023 at 19:46 IST