Updated December 30th, 2023 at 11:40 IST
Pune Traffic Advisory: Several Roads Declared 'No Vehicle Zone' For New Year Celebrations
Pune: Traffic from Y Junction to Mahatma Gandhi Road will be closed at 15 August Chowk and will be diverted towards Qureshi Masjid and Sujata Mastani Chowk.
- 3 min read
Pune: In the wake of New Year's celebrations, Pune traffic police have issued an advisory imposing some restrictions on vehicular movement for December 31, 2023 and January 1, 2024 . "On the eve of December 31, 2023, celebrations are set to take place on Mahatma Gandhi Road in the Lashkar (Camp) area of Pune, as well as on Fergusson College Road. These locations are expected to draw a large crowd as people gather to welcome the new year. To mitigate potential traffic congestion and enhance the flow of vehicular movement, some temporary traffic changes have been made. These adjustments aim to streamline the traffic in and around these popular celebration spots, ensuring a smoother experience for both revelers and commuters alike", a regional daily quoted Deputy Commissioner of Police, Traffic, Vijay Magar's circular dated 29/12/2023.
Effective from 5:00 PM on December 31, 2023, until the culmination of the New Year's Eve celebration, specific traffic arrangements will be enforced, MyPunepulse reported.
Mahatma Gandhi Road, Lashkar (Camp) Area
- Traffic from Y Junction to Mahatma Gandhi Road will be closed at 15 August Chowk and will be diverted towards Qureshi Masjid and Sujata Mastani Chowk.
- From Iskcon Mandir to Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar statue, Aurora Towers the vehicular traffic will be closed.
- From Volga Chowk to Mohammad Rafi Chowk, the traffic will be closed and shall be diverted straight to East Street Road to Indira Gandhi Chowk.
- From Indira Gandhi Chowk to Mahaveer Chowk the road shall remain closed for traffic and will be diverted to Indira Gandhi Chowk to Lashkar police station chowk.
- From Sarbatwala Chowk to Mahaveer Chowk, the road will remain closed and shall be diverted to Taboot Street.
Fergusson College and Jangli Maharaj Road Traffic Diversion for December 31, 2023
Fergusson College: From Kothrud and Karve Road, the vehicles coming from Khandojibaba Chowk will be stopped and shall be diverted via Law College Road, Prabhat Road, Alka Talkies Chowk.
Jangli Maharaj Road: Vehicles coming from Jangli Maharaj Road to Khandojibaba Chowk, Goodluck Chowk, and other lanes to Fergusson college road will be closed at Jhansi Rani Chowk as per the situation, and will be diverted through Pune Municipal Corporation, Omkareshwar mandir and Shivaji road.
No Vehicle Zone in Pune – From December 31, 2023, 7 PM to January 1, 2024, 5 AM.
- Fergusson Road from Goodluck Chowk to Fergusson College Main Gate.
- M.G. Road 15 August Chowk to Hotel Aurora Tower.
Drunk and Drive
To keep a check on drunk and driving a special campaign will be conducted by the Traffic Branch on 31/12/2023 from 19:00 hrs to 05:00 hrs.
In light of the ongoing Drunk and Drive campaign and as a precautionary measure against the transmission of the COVID-19 virus, a single-use Blow Pipe (Plastic Pipe) will be assigned to each individual.
Published December 30th, 2023 at 11:34 IST