Updated 20 April 2020 at 10:41 IST

UP hospital apologises for asking Muslim patients to come only after Covid test; faces FIR

Valentis Cancer Hospital in UP was booked by the Police for putting an ad in a newspaper asking new Muslim patients to come only if they are COVID-19 negative

Follow : Google News Icon  
UP
UP hospital apologises for asking Muslim patients to come only after Covid test; faces FIR | Image: self

Amid the coronavirus pandemic, Valentis Cancer Hospital in Uttar Pradesh's Meerut was booked by the Police for putting an advertisement in a newspaper asking new Muslim patients and their caretakers to come for treatment after undergoing the COVID-19 test & only if the results are negative.

Police have registered a case against hospital manager Amit Jain, Incholi SHO Brijesh Kumar Singh said on Sunday. Meerut SSP Ajay Kumar Sahni said, "We have registered a case. We are taking action as per the evidence available."

Reacting to the same, Meerut's Chief Medical Officer Raj Kumar said, "This is certainly wrong and we are sending a notice to the administration of the concerned hospital." He said further action will be taken after a reply is received from them.

READ | Palghar Mob-lynching: CM Thackeray Assures Justice; Says All Culprits Arrested On April 17

Hospital apologises 

On Monday, the hospital management tendered an apology for the advertisement. Speaking to the media Dr. Amit Jain said, "The ad was an appeal to all the people to follow the government guidelines so that everyone stays safe. It has nothing to do with religion. We apologise as some words hurt people's sentiments. The hospital never intended to hurt anyone's sentiments."

Advertisement

READ | AIIMS Resident Doctor Attempts Suicide After Alleged Discrimination; RDA Appeals To Centre

About the advertisement 

The newspaper advertisement released by the Valentis Cancer Hospital on Friday also said most Hindus and Jains are "misers", and asked them to contribute to the prime minister's fund to help fight coronavirus.

Advertisement

Facing flak on social media, the hospital came up with another advertisement on Sunday, carrying an apology. The original advertisement blamed the Tablighi Jamaat -- whose congregation in Delhi last month was seen as a coronavirus hotspot -- for spreading the disease in the country and then set conditions for admitting Muslim patients. They must get themselves and their attendants tested for coronavirus and bring the report along, it said.

READ | 'Disgust & Shame Is All That Is Left': Gautam Gambhir On Palghar Mob-lynching

In the second advertisement issued Sunday, the hospital said it apologizes if anyone's sentiments are even slightly hurt. Referring to the coronavirus pandemic, the hospital said it wanted people of all religions to fight the emergency together.

"We never had the intention to hurt anyone's feelings. If anyone from the Hindu, Muslim, Jain, Sikh or Christian community has been hurt, we extend our heartfelt regrets." The new advertisement said the hospital was wrong in calling Hindus and Jains "misers". The hospital administration could not be contacted despite several attempts.

READ | India Has Assumed Leadership Role In Fight Against COVID-19: Harsh Vardhan At G20

(With agency inputs)

Published By : Varsha Chavan

Published On: 20 April 2020 at 10:41 IST